Irateness and Incompetence

I woke up fighting back tears of exhaustion as my phone began to blare its ugly ringtone. It feels like I went to bed only a couple hours ago. I look at the clock on my nightstand, checking the time before answering the call. To my surprise its 9:00 a.m, so I actually hadn't gotten a very horrible night of sleep.

"This is Dr. Anderson," I say fighting the sleepiness from my voice.

"Hey Faye, sorry to bother you, it's Colton." He says, with a hint of panic in his voice, which suddenly has me up in my bed, forgetting about the exhaustion.

"What's up?" I say, trying to keep the worry from my own voice.

"I feel really bad calling you, but we really need your help. Callie is in a severe amount of pain, to the point where she can barely talk or keep any food down. We keep trying to get doctors in here, but the nurses just keep saying they'll be here soon and we shouldn't worry. They said it's normal for after surgery, but god Faye she's in so much pain, and nobody is giving me any fucking answers or help when I ask!" He finishes his statement yelling, at about 10 times more volume than when he started.

"Colton I'm on my way, tell your parents and Callie I'm coming. Do you know if they have her on any pain medicine now? The orthopedic team should have prescribed some after the surgery." I ask, pissed and confused.

A horrible common theme I've found in the medical field since I was a medical student is that no doctors know how to do any proper pain control. Ever since the government started cracking down on hospitals because of the opioid epidemic, a lot of doctors blow off pain control all together, telling many of their patients just to suck it up, or they only try one pain medicine on the patient, even though not all people react the same to different pain medications. In reality, all that does is hurt the patient. There's actually sound research that states that patients heal slower when their pain isn't controlled because it causes the body more stress.

"God Faye I have no idea, please hurry. I'm doing everything I can to keep my brother from strangling the nurse. To be honest I'm to the point of letting him, she's the most unsympathetic and unhelpful person I've met in my entire life."

I probably would have laughed at the thought of a guy who just got a dislocated arm put back into place strangling another person if the situation weren't so serious. If Callie is in as much pain as Colton described, it could be putting some serious stress on the baby.

"Okay just hang on, please don't let your brother do anything. I'll be there in twenty," I say quickly before hanging up, feeling pure anger course through my veins.

After quickly racing into my closet to put on scrubs and my converse without caring how I look, I frantically search my house for my keys, fighting back the nausea that had decided to suddenly grace me with its presence.

I almost cried in relief when my eyes landed on my keys, covered up by my purse on the counter. When I finally make my way to my car I have to do everything in my power to stop the bile from coming up my throat, resulting in me spewing my guts in front of my neighbors drinking their morning coffee on the porch. I give them a quick waving before speeding off in the direction of the hospital. When I finally arrive, I race out of my car and into the hospital, jamming the elevator button as if it's going to magically make things move faster.

After what feels like an eternity, I finally arrive on the surgery recovery floor, stopping quickly at a computer to find what room the Kings are in. When I finally make my way to the room, I almost have a heart attack at the pain Callie looks to be in. I barely give Colton and his family a second glance before I'm at her bedside checking over her and the baby's vitals.

I can feel my heart drop into my stomach as I realize how high her blood pressure is just from pain alone. I can feel myself fully enter attending doctor bitch mode as I get ready to take out every ounce of anger I have on this incompetent nurse.  I push the emergency call button, one step below a code before I get onto the computer in the hospital room, ordering pain medication strong enough to help Callie quickly, but safe for the baby. A good minute goes by before I'm tempted to push the code button just to get at least one other fucking human being in here. Before I can get that far, a male nurse rushes in looking like he's about hit the floor from exhaustion.