Part 41

The one where our heroes finally find a moment of peace

-----/////-----

Kara stretched out her shoulder and arms over her head, groaning only slightly more loudly than was necessary. She was putting in more hours with this little army than she had when she was a gladiator-in-training. Kara enjoyed the extra push and even the soreness was satisfying in its own way. She collapsed back on to the bed with an exhausted but contented smile. There was much that needed to get done and there was still the council meeting that night. All Kara wanted to do was sleep until the week was over and done.

Just as she was about to drift off, Lena came in and slammed the door behind her. She draped herself over Kara dramatically, as though the other woman were her own personal fainting chaise. Kara let out a huff of air as Lena's torso squashed out the oxygen in her lungs. On instinct, Kara moved one arm to hold the princess's waist. She smiled despite her face full of hair.

"And how was your day, my queen?" Kara asked her voice strained by the limp woman on top of her.

"More questions and plots and schemes. My brain is as tired as your body. I guarantee it." Lena replied, not seeming to wish to move at all. Kara was fine with the precious weight.

"I would say so, though my body is more than a little exhausted." Kara replied. "These men and women are working hard but we are pretty much starting from nothing. They are more used to holding farming equipment than holding weapons."

"I am sure you are more than capable of whipping them into shape." Lena tried to reassure her. She knew how Kara would hold herself responsible for each and every one of those people.

"I just feel like the more I push myself, the more they will push themselves. I want to lead them by example... the way you do, Lena." Kara's voice was heavy with emotion and Lena pushed up to look her in the eyes, a soft smile on her face.

"You are an amazing leader, Kara. You would make an even better General. Alex was right, you are my right hand and I would never want you anywhere else... but, if you are only staying for me, I do not want you to feel as though you have to. You are not beholden to me anymore. You are free to do as you please." Lena played with a strand of hair escaped from Kara's ponytail.

Kara pushed them back and sat up against the headboard, pulling Lena into her lap so as not to lose any of their closeness while still freeing up her lungs.

"I am not stuck with you, Lena. I have sworn myself to your service whether you have a throne or title or not. One day, when you are settled and in control, I will take back my own kingdom. Watching you has shown me I must. Until that day comes, I am yours, wholly and completely. The only way you might rid yourself of me is if you were to send me away or if I were to fall in battle... preferably in your name or in Krypton's. I love you, Lena. I am not going anywhere." Kara cupped Lena's face in her hand and pulled her in gently to kiss her. She took her time and allowed Lena to push her down. Kara melted underneath her letting her exhausted body fall back into the pillows.

Lena had to giggle and pull away when she couldn't stop herself from smiling through the kiss.

"I love you too. We will figure this out. Our life is complicated and a smooth path will probably never come easily, but this... us will be so worth it." Lena swore to Kara and to herself. "When Luthor is mine, we will get Krypton back for you and hopefully, then we can figure the rest out for us. Until then, between the bouts of madness, and the ugliness, maybe we can find the time to enjoy one another."

Kara swallowed the large knot which formed in her throat at Lena's words. Her throat went dry and her eyes filled with hot tears. What Lena said had been too perfect. Nothing she could ever say would possibly compare. All Kara knew was to sit back and hold Lena close in whatever little time they had left.

"You know what? We need a day together just you and me with no wars or bids for the throne to distract us. What do you say?" Lena asked after a long quiet moment.

"That sounds perfect." Kara replied with a soft smile. While her queen's mind had been obviously been working overtime, she was just trying to fill her eyes with as much Lena Luthor as she possibly could.

"We are equals now, Kara. You are going to have to start speaking up about what you want." Lena said almost petulantly.

"I am content. I have my good health returned to me and my sister back. Winn seems happy and healthy. He is the best friend I could have asked for. Alex is here and from what I have witnessed, she seems well. I have you, Lena, and I love you. For some reason, only the gods know our lives have been intertwined and I may be the luckiest woman on the planet. I have all I could ever want." Kara replied and Lena could not agree more.