Chapter 5 | Newt Scamander, a Niffler, and a Case

¡THIS IS NOT MY STORY! The story was make by nyxblack on fanfiction.net.

——————————

Bloody Hell? Honestly had Ron rub off on her that much?

What happened to the concept of discretion?! There's no way his name would mean anything to anyone at this time. He's too young! He probably hasn't even published the first edition of his book yet and probably has yet to receive any sort of recognition for his future contributions to the wizarding world. The only reason his name alone should cause such a reaction was if the they had attended Hogwarts at the same time. A fact he's sure to pick up on! Her mind scoffs through the panic.

A cold sweat breaks out along her hairline, her breath coming in quick gasps, panic engulfing her. The unknown woman and Newt bloody Scamander stare at her with curious and worried eyes. Her hand grasps at the now naked chain around her neck, the cool metal biting into her hand, eyes wide. Remembering its fate her other hand presses against the pocket of her trousers.

Oh god. No.

Her fingers drop from the chain to her now marred chest. Frantic eyes flick to the skin exposed above the now ruined collar of her blouse. Parting the pieces her eyes take in the damage.

It isn't too bad. She thinks lightly touching the new wound.

Isn't very pretty though. The vain though surprises her before she begins to truly look. The skin is raw and burnt, shallow cuts covering the area. Small pieces of glass and glittering dust embedded in her skin. Luckily the bleeding has stopped meaning nothing had been nicked in the accident but honestly she has trouble believing there's anything lucky about this situation.

Allowing the split pieces of her shirt to fall back into place she moves her hand to cover her mouth. A choked sob breaking through, her breath hot on her skin. She attempts to calm herself down. Mind racing.

Breathe. She closes her eyes, long eyelashes caressing her cheeks.

Breathe. She forces her shoulders to relax, hands dropping to her sides.

Breathe. She unfurls her fists, flexing her fingers before wiping her sweaty palm on her trousers.

Breathe. She straightens her legs and back, head held high.

Breathe. The sound of sirens and voices in the distance once again fill the air. The world moves forward.

Breathe. Her brown eyes shoot open, her posture and features relaxing.

"Bad things happen to wizards who meddle with time." The single memory flashes across her mind. A ball of fear forms in her chest it's black inky fingers clutching her heart. Her lungs constrict and once again she forces herself to breathe.

Time travel. There's no denying it. Her prior experiences with the device in her third year. Her research into time turners and travelling through time. Later, all those days sequestered away in her office re-reading her copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The moving portrait on the back of her leather bound edition displaying the smiling face of a far older Newt Scamander his hair completely white. Her fingers tracing the words of old wizarding history books in the libraries in the Ministry.

Newt Scamander. Beginning around 1908 he attended Hogwarts. Once there he was sorted into Hufflepuff house. He was later expelled from Hogwarts in 1913 when one of his beloved beasts endangered the life of a student. Albus Dumbledore, transfiguration teacher at the time argued strongly on his behalf. After leaving Hogwarts, Scamander joined the Ministry of Magic and took a position in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. Spent two years in the Office for House-Elf Relocation before transferring to the Beat Division. There he received numerous promotions before leaving the ministry in 1918 after receiving a commission from Augustus Worme of Obscurus Books to write the first edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A book that would later be used as a part of the Hogwarts curriculum. He then travelled for quite some time working on his book before arriving in New York in 1926 for what was meant to be a quick stop over.