Chapter 8 | Closer

¡THIS IS NOT MY STORY! The story was make by nyxblack on fanfiction.net.

——————————

Hermione hears the voices of Jacob and Newt a short distance away as she makes her way farther into the case. Her new Bowtruckle friend chattering amicably in her ear.

Almost there. She thinks her face upturned watching as Doxy's, Glow bugs, and Grindylows float through the air. A Nundu stands on a large rock hungrily devouring a meal of fresh meat. The sound of twittering draws her attention to the ground where a little ways off a small, plump Diricawl waddles past, followed closely by her constantly apparating chicks.

"Hey! Oh, hello, fellas-all right-all right." Her eyes fall on Jacob bathed in moonlight standing atop a rock ledge, surrounded by little Mooncalves.

A wide smile graces her lips at the scene. More Mooncalves jump and hop down the rocks towards Jacob, friendly, hopeful faces with huge eyes that fill their entire faces stare up at the charmed muggle.

"Take it easy-take it easy" He chuckles throwing pellets towards the friendly creatures.

His joy is obvious. Wonder filling his eyes, a large smiling stretching across his face as he feeds the Mooncalves. The sight fills her heart with hope. Searching the area Hermione's eyes come to a stop on Newts form. He stands a little ways off his sleeves now rolled up to the elbow, tie undone, the first few buttons of his shirt open, his overcoat now gone giving Hermione a view of his lightly muscled forearms.

She licks her lips at the exposed hint of tantalizing skin near his throat mouth growing dry before her curious brown eyes fall upon the creature cradled in his arms.

Magical. A luminescent creature sprouting alien-like tendrils sits in his arms being bottle fed by Newt as he watches Jacob carefully, taking note of how he handles the Mooncalves. A look of hope and joy filling his blue eyes. An expression so similar to her own.

"There you go, cutie. Ah, there it is." Jacob coos at the Mooncalves in the background.

Hermione watches as Newt walks further into the case his arms still full of the luminescent creature. With one last look at Jacob she follows quickly, quietly behind Newts retreating form. Pushing aside a piece of fabric, she walks through the flap, squinting her eyes as they adjust to the darkened space, the only light source coming from the handful of luminescent creatures near a glowing pool of water, hidden beneath the equally luminescent foliage filling the dark space. Golden sparks float about the air like pollen in the wind. Twisting and winding in the most hypnotizing patterns. She watches as Newt sets the creature down, urging it to join its friends, a gentle smile on his face before turning in her direction. His eyes widening in recognition as they fall on her form.

"Hermione?-" He asks surprise leaking into his voice.

"A rather impressive piece of magic you have here Mr. Scamander. I must say I find myself a touch jealous, and very much impressed." She says in way of greeting, truly meaning every single word.

Even in the darkened room she can see how his cheeks colour with an embarrassed but flattered blush as he makes his way towards her with long, steady strides. The Bowtruckle hidden in her mane chatters noisily, angry clacks increasing in volume as Newt draws near. The Bowtruckles angry clacks are met by a more subdued chattering coming from the breast pocket of Newts shirt. A small green head pops up, the leaves atop its head shaking.

Newt looks down in question at the little Bowtruckle in his pocket as he comes to a stop in front of Hermione. With a few tugs on her curls the little Bowtruckle in her hair makes its presence known. Newts eyes light up with mirth, a laugh tumbling from his lips as his eyes fall on the creature in her hair, swinging between two righteous curls like some sort of amazon.