Chapter 10 | What It Means To Be Brave

¡THIS IS NOT MY STORY! The story was make by nyxblack on fanfiction.net.

——————————

What do I do? What can I possibly say... Hermione's mind races as she worries at her bottom lip.

Newt's gaze is steady, an excited, wonder filled spark burning in his eyes, the leather bound edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them clutched in hand. The eyes of a child when faced with a fantastic piece of magic for the first time, so innocent, and naive, having no idea of the consequences of having meddled with time.

Oh come off it! You've already meddled enough as it is, no greater power has struck you down yet! A loud voice in her mind shouts.

The silence continues to permeate the air as Newt shifts in his seat, waiting, as if urging her to speak. She stares at the wall behind his head taking in the rows upon rows of phials, gear and various nick nacks.

You can't go back. The voice, smaller now than before, whispers in her mind.

A frown pulls at her lips. If she remembered correctly the research into time magic wouldn't even begin for a number of years yet.

20 years, probably more. The invention of Time-Turner even further off. By her time, all but two had been destroyed, hers and one owned by the Malfoy family, which was later confiscated by the Ministry during a raid. With all of the devices gone the topic was dropped, the power to manipulate time too powerful for human hands.

Lost in time. Tears gather in her eyes at the thought, Newt's face dropping as he takes note, his hand moving as if to wipe them away before stopping, dropping his arm back to his side.

'I mark the hours, every one, Nor have I yet outrun the sun. My use and value, unto you, Are gauged by what you have to do.' The words inscribed on her now destroyed Time-Turner flash through her mind.

The creation of an alternate time line? Or... is time a loop... She muses rubbing a hand over her face. Her presence may very well change nothing... Her younger self won't even be born for many years yet and, the name Hermione Granger is completely unknown.

'My use and value, unto you, Are gauged by what you have to do.' She mulls the final line of the engraving over in her head once more.

What to do? If time is indeed a loop, the concept of a self-fulfilling prophecy, none of her actions would have any effect on the time line. The consequences her being here were unimportant in the grand scheme of time. Or perhaps... perhaps she was the catalyst, the catalyst for all that was to come. The thought makes her mouth run dry.

Grindelwald would still be defeated by Albus Dumbledore... Voldemort would still rise, killing Harry's parents before casting that final killing curse, embedding the last of his Horcrux's in Harry's scar. Years later, he'd rise once more, leaving a path of destruction and chaos in his wake. In what was meant to be their seventh year, Harry would defeat him as planned, and Wizarding Britain would transition into a period of peace... But... at what cost?

The lives that could be saved- So many lives lost far too soon. Was the price of peace too steep? Could she truly sit back and allow all of those lives to be lost?

Fred, Remus, Tonks, her parents, the list goes on. With her knowledge of future events... could she still live with herself if she let those events come to pass? Her mind goes blank at the thought, hands clenched in her lap.

Yes. The single word, quiet and small, filters through her mind. She could do what she must.

Meddling could irreparably change the timeline, warping the future into a far darker place, the tentative peace lost. Hermione Granger was nothing if not logical. Though the lack of information and proof pertaining to her current predicament and theory put her on edge, this seemed like the most logical and best option.