Chapter 18 | The Next Great Adventure

¡THIS IS NOT MY STORY! The story was make by nyxblack on fanfiction.net.

——————————

Queenie, Jacob and a now healed and somewhat irritated-looking Tina, pushes their way to the front of the Aurors, Jacob holding Newt's case tight in hand.

Queenie rushes forward, pulling a conscious, but still thoroughly exhausted Hermione into a tight hug, tears filling her eyes. A surge of emotions rush over Hermione, a shaky breath escaping her lips as she wraps her shaking arms around Queenie's form, holding the other woman close. Comforted by the tight embrace. A sigh of relief escapes her lips.

"Oh honey, I-I'm so glad you're okay." The young blond woman chokes, grabbing Hermione's face in her hands, looking her over as though checking for injuries. The pair shares an emotional look.

Behind them Tina smoothly slips back into Auror mode and manages to get a full report of the evening's events from one of the rookies.

Newt stares at Jacob.

"Hey... I figured somebody oughta keep an eye on this thing." Jacob begins, a small smile on his face as he hands Newt his case.

"Thank you," Newt replies, tone humble and utterly grateful, he accepts the proffered case.

Madam Picquery addresses the group as she stares through the broken roof of the subway station, into the world outside.

"We owe you an apology, Mr. Scamander, Ms. Granger." Her curious and questioning eyes falls on Hermione's form. Seeing this, Queen subtly moves to stand in front of her with a steel glint in her eyes. "But the magical community is exposed! We cannot Obliviate an entire city."

There's a beat as her statement sinks in.

Newt follows Madam Pizquery's gaze. His fingers intertwine with Hermione's and gives her hand a firm squeeze. Hermione looks to Newt in question, the spark of curiosity ever present in her exhausted brown eyes, she notices his attention elsewhere. She follows his gaze, the pair watches as a tendril of black matter — a small part of the Obscurus — floats down through the roof. Unnoticed by anyone else, it eventually floats up and away, trying to reconnect with its host.

A joyous sound slips past Hermione's lips drawing Queenie, Newt and Jacob's attention. She and Newt share a relieved smile before his attention snaps back to the problem at hand, their fingers still entwined, a comforting presence despite all that had happened here today.

"Actually, I think we can." Newt begins, earning himself curious gazes from all those assembled.

Hermione stands between Queenie and Jacob, leaning into the tall, blonde woman for support and comfort, watching as Newt places his case wide-open underneath the huge hole in the subway roof.

The assembled crowd watches on with bated breath, unsure of what the curious man intends to do. The Thunderbird bursts forth in a flurry of feathers and gushes of gold and silver wind. The throng of Aurors backs away, Hermione and the others staying firmly in place. Their eyes spellbound at the stunning display, admiring the beautiful and powerful creature.

The creature is beautiful, a fact that no one can deny, mesmerizing but frightening, as he flaps his mighty wings and hovers above them.

Newt moves forward, examining Frank. A look of real tenderness and pride appears on his face.

"I was intending to wait until we got to Arizona, but it seems like now you are our only hope, Frank," Newt says, the two sharing a look between them, understanding.

Newt reaches out his arm, and Frank presses his beak lovingly into his embrace. They nuzzle each other affectionately, and Hermione can't stem the tears beginning to collect in the corners of her eyes at the tender display of affections, her hand sliding into Queenie's. The pair shares another emotional gaze, neither unaffected. They understand the emotional response of one another entirely.