The Isle of the Lost: Jane's Fifth Year (Rotten)

Shortly after Jane's worst punishment to date and her friends coming back to her, she found her magic slowly returning though the half-fairy had another idea of what powered her magic and she didn't think it was emotion based like Mal had suggested.

Because like it or not when she set things or people ablaze she didn't feel anything.

Jane knew she could suppress her feelings and still use magic so what else could be the source? It hit her then that when she broke bones her thoughts drifted to Carlos when his mother broke his arm and it both sickened and angered her, but she did her best not to feel that when casting the spell and then there's fire...

As passionate as some people the element is it brings forth nothing from her except the memory of being burnt herself as punishment, but she no longer fears that and as such that throws the emotion-based magic theory under the bus so to speak but she does have memories with fire and memories with the sound of bones breaking.

That's why Jane thinks it memory-based, the stronger the memory, the more vivid, the better she is at the spell... it would make complete sense why her firepower is so strong as she knows what it feels like to be burning, the smell of burning flesh, everything... she's never broken a bone that's something she's experienced second hand so her magic to break things is not as thorough.

Things like levitation and color changing spells are simple but she doesn't have anything memory that would make it possible to say change a whole room green or levitate more than a few things at once well not without a major headache and strain put on her magic. As for her tracking spell, it's only better because it requires her to think about who or what she's tracking in detail the more detailed the memory the easier... quicker she's able to find who or what she's searching for.

This is only a theory, but it makes more sense than emotion.

Jane is convinced that her emotions have no sway over her or her magic in any way what so ever.

She will find out years later that she's only half right.

-

The five of them were together causing trouble for their fellow villains by destroying stalls and stealing things and just plain being bad because they could, and it was expected of them.

The name calling was always there, and their ears would pick up various words and phrases that they've become used to over time such as Rotten: it was directed at them all, Freak: was mostly for Mal, dirty no-good: was aimed at Jay, Jane, Carlos, and Evie didn't have anything that was purely them yet but give it time they thought.

Back at Mal's hideout, she was eating a stolen apple while Jay was looking at the loot he recently scored when, "Uck," The purple haired girl spits out the bite she just took, "What's wrong?" Evie asks taking her eyes away from her designs just as Jay looks away from his goods while Carlos just continues tinkering and Jane reading.

"This apple is rotten!" She throws said apple onto the floor as Jay snorts, "Of course it is Mal." The girl glares, "I mean more so than usual, it's rotten to the core!"

"Then why'd you have such a tough time eating it?" Carlos asks not looking up from his gadget, "Are you saying I'm rotten to the core?" Mal asks standing up from the couch and towering over Carlos who is on the floor working on something the group doesn't understand, that is why Jay's dubbed him as a tech nerd.

"I'm sure he didn't mean it!" Evie said trying to calm the situation down.

"I wasn't asking you E, I was talking to Carlos." Evie seemed put down, but Jane briefly looked up from her book wondering if she was the only one who noticed the nickname drop Mal had just made.