8 | lettuce eat

Rome Flynn as Andre Yusef

***

"Dana Hicks, you really are the saving grace of this hellhole."

Perturbed by the sudden voice at my side, I halfway closed my locker to find the culprit and my brows furrowed when I did.

"Um, thanks?"

It was Andre Yusef. He's one of those guys that are so fine they look like they don't belong in a building with hundreds of their acne ridden, socially awkward, average looking peers. The last place I'd expect to see a guy like him was by my locker, overflowing with charm and confidence as he sized me up.

Then again, if I looked like that, I'd be pretty cocky, too.

He grinned easily, eyes jumping all over my appearance as he towered over me.

I quirked a brow when he didn't say anything after a while. "...Did you want something?"

"Yeah." He nodded. "I wanted to know if you're going to the game on Friday."

"What game?"

His smile faltered. "The lacrosse game. We're playing Westview for the playoffs."

I nodded, not all that interested as I shut my locker. "Oh, okay. I'm not that into lacrosse though, so I probably won't be there."

"Ah, you won't miss much." He chuckled at his implication of it being an easy win.

Wanting this awkwardness to be over already, I said nicely, "Well, I hope you win. See ya round."

"Oh, wait!" He stepped into my path, nearly knocking into me and I gave him an incredulous look. "I meant to ask, are you going to the after party?"

"...If I'm not going to the game, why would I go to the after party?"

His brows creased minutely, a growing smile playing at his lips. "A party's a party, right? I heard Connie might be going, so I was wondering if—"

"If she'd be dragging me with her?" My smile was closed and sarcastic. "Don't count on it, Andre."

"It's Dre," he said. "My friends call me Dre."

I scoffed. "Okay, well either way, I won't be there."

I knew he got my hint to excuse himself, I wasn't exactly being subtle, but the smirk never left his face. "That's alright," he said, adjusting the strap of his bag as he began to leave. "I'll see you around."

Let's hope not. "Bye, Andre."

***

The rest of my day went by pretty smoothly, the only bump in the road being a pop quiz my history teacher sprung on us. Even though the grade didn't hold much weight, I was still bummed that my score was lower than an eighty.

"How does that even work? It was a seven question quiz," Connie wondered.

"I don't know," I moped, steadily picking at my tray of food. "All I know is I need to study harder if I want to pass that test in a week."

Connie's glossed mouth flattened. "Dana, if you study any harder, you'll put yourself in the hospital."

"But I don't retain things as easily as some people, so I have to."

"Did you try my study tips? I gave you a whole list of techniques I use," she said.

"I did, but they just don't work for me." I shrugged.

"What doesn't work for you?"

A tray was placed on the table beside Connie and down sat my favorite smile. He looked nice, much like everyday, but he'd traded his frequent sweatshirts for a loose tee, the soft pink emphasizing his tan skin.

"My study methods. She thinks she's too good for my flash cards," Connie teased as she scooted over to make space for him. I noticed that he didn't have a tray full of the processed cafeteria food like we did, but a healthy lineup of fruit, a few granola bars and a bottle of water. A little bit of shame surfaced in me as I prodded my freezer burned chicken nuggets and fries.

"They're so boring," I whined. "I need something that'll keep my attention, like those computer games we played in elementary school."

"Are you talking about Cool Math Games?!" Connie sputtered around her salad, making Taz and I laugh.

"Yes! Or like an educational Poptropica."

"That's actually not a bad idea..."

"Have you tried Kahoot?" Taz asked.

"I've played it in class, but it'd be no fun doing it by myself at home," I told him.

"What if we did it as a group? I wouldn't mind helping in my free time."

A little smile tugged at my mouth. "That might work."

Connie suddenly gagged on her juice and turned away to stifle a laugh. I was confused until she pointed at her teeth and mouthed "lettuce" before Taz saw.

***

low key filler, but you'll see where I'm going with this