11 | you're staring

Recap: the gang went to Connie's house for a study session, but Connie left to grab some grub, leaving Dana and Taz alone in her absence. Unexpectedly, Connie's older sister comes home.

***

"What did I just walk into?"

Taz and I shared a glance, neither of us really sure of how to answer that. I settled on, "Nice to see you too, Dom."

She rolled her coffee eyes playfully and turned towards the kitchen. "Who's the new guy?"

"This is Taz," I told her.

DJ looked over her shoulder and waved politely. She's a very pretty girl, always letting her confidence show through her bright smiles and fun personality. Her skin is as brown as hazelnut; dark hair thick and usually pulled up in a ponytail or sloppily assembled bun. Though she wears makeup and does give her appearance considerable effort, her muscular build is more than enough proof that she is definitely not just a pretty face. Well, that and the oil smudges occasionally blemishing her otherwise perfect skin. She is a mechanic, after all.

She grinned knowingly at us from the fridge, nose piercing winking under the kitchen lights. "You her boyfriend?"

"Not ye—"

"No." I could practically feel him smirking beside me, enjoying my reaction far too much. "We're just studying."

"Studying," she echoed as she rummaged around through the refrigerator. "You sure that's all? Open books don't mean shit when hormones are involved."

At this point, there's no way my face wasn't scarlet, and Taz was absolutely no help to the situation. He just licked his thumb, turned a page and goes, "She's got a point, Hicks."

"Shut up."

"So, Taz," DJ calls over her shoulder, back to us as she slaps a sandwich together at the counter. "You got a girlfriend?"

He was slightly caught off guard by the sudden question, but answered nonetheless. "Uh, no."

"Boyfriend?"

"No."

"You like Black girls?"

"Dom, lay off," I warned. One thing everyone comes to realize about her is that she's kind of intrusive, not very big on beating around the bush. Dominiqe James is good for starting up conversations that either last for hours or arguments that end in doors slamming, and I don't have the energy for either of those outcomes today.

"What?" She shot me a mischievous grin, poorly concealed by falsely innocent eyes. "I'm just making conversation. Taz?" She nodded for him to respond.

Taz must've missed the way I glared at the older girl because he decided to speak up and answer anyways. "I don't discriminate."

DJ looked impressed, brown eyes widening and hip cocking in intrigue. "Really? You sure you're not just trying to live out some interracial fantasy? I hear Asian guys are just dying to taste some choc—"

"Dominiqe." I didn't shout, but my voice was stern enough to overpower hers and end the interrogation. "That's enough."

For a moment, the air was tense, heavy with anticipation for which way this would turn. For a second, I really considered leaving just so that Taz wouldn't have to endure any more of her intrusive ass questions— Lord knows the local library is always peaceful. Then DJ chuckled and bit into her sandwich.

"My bad," she said around a mouthful, "I get a little nosy around new people. Sorry, kids." She smiled apologetically, dropping the topic as she cleaned up. "Hope I didn't scare you too much, Taz." With that and a wink aimed at said boy, she went upstairs, taking her sandwich with her.