10 | people do that

three updates in one day? wow i must really like y'all

***

"I'll be right back."

So apparently Connie just does whatever she wants.

"Where are you going?" I asked, barely restricting the flare of irritation I was feeling towards her at the moment.

"We're low on food and I'm starving," she answered easily. "You guys want pizza?"

"Sure, as long as it's not cheese," Taz replied without looking up from my notes on the coffee table.

"Great," she said from the edge of the foyer. "Everybody fine with a supreme?"

"Yep."

"Yeah, um, are your parents going to be fine with us just..." I trailed off, giving her a pointed look. She knew what I was saying.

She waved it off. "They both don't get off until after seven. Plus, they love you, D."

"I know, but—" I glanced desperately at Taz who either hadn't caught on to my behavior or was ignoring it.

The look she shot back said 'woman up and just go with it you coward!' "I'll be gone thirty minutes tops. Worst case scenario is DJ comes home. Relax."

"Fine," I grumbled. The door shut a moment later and her tires were heard peeling out of the driveway.

"Who's DJ?"

"Hm?" I turned to see him already looking at me from behind his glasses - apparently they're just for reading.

"Who's DJ? She said they might come home."

"Oh. That's just her older sibling. They're harmless," I told him.

He nodded but didn't ask more about it. "Okay. Do you think you're getting the hang of this?"

"No," I sighed. "The terms aren't sticking. There's too many similar events too close to each other."

"What if I draw you out a timeline?"

I groaned, throwing my head back. "I thought we were here to play Kahoot."

"You have to study first," he chuckled. "That's like going on Jeopardy and not even knowing the categories."

"People do that," I argued.

"Yeah and they make an ass of themselves, too."

"Are you saying you won't let me be an ass?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

Laughter filled the room and the atmosphere relaxed. We sat in our socks on the light colored carpet, my notes and textbook set up on the dark wood coffee table, legs tucked underneath it. Taz continued trying to explain the lesson to me, but after twenty minutes of me continuously answering his questions with my own, we both needed a break.

"Aright, that's it," he said, dropping his pencil and running a hand through his chestnut hair. "I didn't peg you to be annoying, but you clearly want to prove me wrong today."

Well, that was a jaw dropper. "How dare you!"

"How dare YOU," he challenged. "Misleading me like this... Is this what you do? Lure guys in with that cute facade and then irk them to death? Huh, is that your tactic?"

"Aww, you think I'm cute?"

His face deadpanned, clearly unamused. Just as he opened his mouth to retort, the sound of jingling keys sounded outside the front door before it swung open and cast a long shadow across the foyer. The two of us turned around to see who would walk in, as it hadn't sounded like Connie, and I wasn't too surprised when the heavy footsteps halted and revealed their owner.

My eyes traveled up from a set of worn combat boots to a black jumpsuit tied around a toned waist and a white muscle tee. One dark brow quirked over a pair of blue aviators as one tattooed finger dragged the sunglasses down the bridge of a pierced nose. Two humored hazel orbs looked us over with poorly concealed amusement.

"Well well well," DJ said, "what did I just walk into?"

***

lol I love gender reveals

longer chapters coming soon