Chapter 12 - When Everything Was Mine

Content warning: The following chapter tackles themes some readers may not wish to engage in, namely mentions of sex, coercion, and descriptions of distress. Please take care while reading my book.

The world was an odd shade of purple and green

The world was an odd shade of purple and green. Looking around me, all I saw was walls upon walls that were closing in on me. I was in a maze, trying my hardest to find a way out. Darkness enveloped me, and all of a sudden I was a physical manifestation of panic. I was panic, and I was agitation. I was restlessness and fear. Questions raced through my mind, fighting for dominance and clarity. Where was the exit? I reared my head around. Where did I come from? Head swimming, I sank to the ground in slow motion.

My fingers touched soft grass, and I grabbed a fistful to keep myself anchored. The room spun around me, swirling, changing, walls dancing. My thoughts spun along with them.

Ah, so this is how it ends, I thought, oddly at peace. I closed my eyes and leaned against the wall, felt how the grass rustled around me, and I wondered what it would be like to die.

A hand landed on my shoulder, but I didn't jump. I was so tired, and the heat of their palm spread throughout my limb. The touch lit fireworks in my head, sent electricity sizzling through my nerves, and I remembered everything. I wasn't escaping the maze. I was waiting for someone. I wanted to look at the person, wanted to see who they were, but everything was distorted and moving so slowly. My eyes swam with tears. All I could see were shadows.

The hand slid down my arm and closed around my wrist, pulling me closer. The warmth continued to pulse through me, reaching every cell and vein in my body. I've been waiting for you, I thought, blinking. I was scared and alone, but I waited. The hand yanked me forward, pulling me into a tight embrace. The heat was unbearable now, searing through me like wildfire. Hot tears ran down my face. I wouldn't let go. I couldn't. All I craved was to get closer, just a little bit closer...

I woke with a start, smashed my head against the shelf, and sent my alarm clock tumbling to the floor

I woke with a start, smashed my head against the shelf, and sent my alarm clock tumbling to the floor. "Ouch, Jesus!" I yelped.

Confusion was the first emotion to rear its head. I was in my room, it was still dark outside, and I could hear the faint footsteps of the newspaper boy doing his early morning rounds. Early morning, I realized. It was early morning, I was in my room, and there was no maze. Not anymore.