jealous

mr. philips wrote down the equation on the chalkboard. y/n copied it on her slate, and tried to figure it out. but she couldn't concentrate with a certain gilbert blythe burning holes in the side of her head.

she glanced at him, and found he had been staring at her with an odd expression, head cupped in his hand. once he noticed her looking, he turned a bit red and winked. y/n rolled her eyes and turned back to her slate. she felt a little smile tugging at the corners of her lips, and scolded herself mentally for it.

cole mackenzie, y/n's best friend, sat behind gilbert and had seen everything. he smirked and wrote something on a piece of paper. he crumpled it up and threw it at y/n. she turned to him, smiled, and picked it up. she opened it:

did gilbert blythe just wink at you or am i just going a bit crazy?

y/n scoffed, turned to cole and stuck her tongue out at him. they giggled silently at each other. she quickly turned back to her slate as mr. philips turned back around to examine the classroom. once again, she felt someone's eyes on her. she quickly glanced out of the corner of her eye.

it was, of course, gilbert blythe. but this time he didn't look too happy. he looked sad. he looked back at cole, who sat behind him, then back at y/n. he clenched his jaw then turned back to his slate, shoulders drooping.

y/n and cole exchanged surprised looks. that was very odd. even y/n knew something was up, and she wasn't the greatest at noticing things like this. regardless, she turned back to her slate.

the whole day was like that. she'd glance at gilbert, and every time he'd be looking at her. each time he'd have an angrier expression.

at lunch time, cole raced up to her.

"did you see that?!" they exclaimed to each other in unison.

"he looked so upset!" y/n whisper-yelled.

"he glared at me... a lot." cole said, looking off to the side with a worried look.

"what on earth is wrong with him?" y/n said. they both looked at gilbert. he was staring at them. when he noticed them staring back, he awkwardly coughed and got up to go outside with the rest of his friends.

they stared after him in disbelief.

"it's not like we're dating. why should he care if i talk to a boy?" y/n said, throwing her hands up in defense.

"you're naive, y/n." cole said, chuckling.

________________________________

after lunch, mr. philips said there would be a spelling bee.

y/n was excited. she was quite good at spelling.

it seemed like an eternity until there were the final four left. it was y/n, cole, gilbert, and anne.

"cole, spell beautiful." mr. philips said as he locked eyes with prissy andrews. y/n raised her eyebrows at them.

cole cleared his throat.

"B-E-..." he trailed off.