truth or dare (pt. 2)

by the time they got back, there were a lot more people there. and one of them was gilbert blythe. as soon as y/n saw him, a lump rose in her throat. he was talking to ruby, who seemed to be getting a little too comfortable with him.

gilbert must've felt y/n's eyes on him, because he caught her staring. y/n turned red and quickly looked at the ground. she and diana walked past them as fast as they could. y/n could feel gilbert staring at the back of her head.

diana gave y/n a tight squeeze on the shoulder. "don't mind ruby," she said. "gilbert doesn't like her anyway."

y/n nodded and smiled. she went over and joined her other friends, who had just arrived. they all talked and giggled while they waited to be dismissed to the "kid area", which was the bonfire grounds for the younger people.

when they were told to go, y/n couldn't help but notice ruby and gilbert were both missing from their friend groups.

***

whispers arose among the girls and boys as ruby and gilbert arrived ten minutes later than the rest of the kids. ruby was looking cheerful while gilbert looked uncomfortable, heading over to his friends who immediately started to question him.

ruby skipped over to y/n and her friends, bright red but smiling big.

"ruby! where were you?" jane asked immediately. ruby giggled and looked down at the ground as she fidgeted with the hemline of her dress. y/n felt jealousy bubble in the pit of her stomach.

"with gilbert. we took a long walk in the gardens," ruby replied, staring off dreamily.

"how romantical," anne sighed. while the girls giggled and gossiped, y/n stared off into the trees. she felt like running off into them and never coming back. right then and there, she decided she'd forget about that gilbert blythe... she wouldn't dream hopelessly about a dumb boy who didn't see how much he means to her. but a part of her would still wish that he'd reconsider and choose her instead.

***

"okay, let's play truth or dare!" josie announced. the girls immediately gathered around the fire and sat on the logs, whispering and giggling. y/n sat next to diana, wringing her hands.

"are you alright?" diana asked. y/n nodded and smiled. she quickly glanced at gilbert, who was sneakily looking at her too. y/n quickly looked away as her stomach dropped and her heart skipped a beat. he was probably looking at ruby, she told herself.

"who wants to ask first?" josie asked. everybody looked at each other, waiting for a volunteer.

"i'll ask someone," jane piped up. everybody looked at her. "gilbert, i dare you to kiss ruby!"

as soon as those words left jane's mouth, y/n's jaw dropped slightly as she looked at gilbert, praying he wouldn't do it. then, she looked at ruby who was basically dying in excitement. ruby got up quickly to move next to gilbert, who was trying to inch away from her slowly.

"it was a dare, gilbert. don't you know the rules of dares? you can't cheat them," ruby said quickly. y/n glared at ruby and scolded her in her head about how annoying she was being at the moment.

"i don't know..." gilbert muttered, just loud enough for everyone to hear. then, to y/n's dismay, everybody started to cheer gilbert on. his friends smacked him on the back, and the girls giggled and pointed at ruby, who was staring so intently at gilbert you'd think her eyes would dry out.