don't leave me

today, y/n woke up with no will to get out of bed or go anywhere at all.

her boyfriend of two months, gilbert blythe, had made her upset two days ago and she hasn't talked to him since.

they had been dating in secret, because nobody wanted them together.

especially not ruby gillis.

***

"sweetheart, i have to tell you something." he had said when they were walking home together. y/n's heart skipped a beat.

"what is it?" she asked curiously, stopping in her tracks.

gilbert ran his hand through his curls, sighing and clenching his jaw.

"don't be mad." he begged. y/n raised an eyebrow. her stomach began to churn. what had he done that was so worrying to him?

"well, it depends what you did, but i know you would never do anything serious," y/n chuckled. 

gilbert tried to laugh but a whimper came out instead.

"well, can i just ask you something first?" gilbert asked vaguely. y/n nodded.

"would it be such a bad thing if people knew about us?" he asked. y/n looked into his deep hazel eyes. all she saw was fear.

"gilbert... what did you do?" y/n asked, her voice trembling a little. gilbert bit his lip and looked up into the sky. when he looked back down, his eyes looked watery and unsure.

"i'm so sorry. i-i got carried away because they were saying things about you i didn't like and i said some stu--," he began. y/n held up a hand, signaling him to stop.

"did you tell them about us?" she asked, her voice trembling even more. it felt much colder outside all of a sudden.

"please, baby, let me finish." he pleaded with sadness in his eyes.

"just tell me if you told them, gilbert!" y/n exclaimed, tears filling her eyes to the brim at this point. she thought she had made it clear when they first got together that nobody could know at all. the girls would hurt her, bad. they'd done it once before, and they hadn't even been dating at that time. she still had the bruises.

"i'm so, so sorry." gilbert whispered, tears spilling down his cheeks now.

"gilbert, how could you do this?! do you have any idea what they're gonna do to me now?!" y/n yelled, wiping her tears.

"what have you done?!" she sobbed.

"y/n, i said i'm sorry! i'm so sorry...

...don't leave me." he whispered.

 he grasped desperately at her hands. she pulled them away and shook her head.

"if they hurt me it's all your fault." y/n said throatily, no tears to spill anymore. now, she was just angry. she trusted him.