i'm always with you

"y/n, can i ask you something?" gilbert asked. y/n smiled at him.

"of course. what is it?" she asked, and stopped walking. they were taking a stroll together in the woods. they were best friends, inseparable.

"before my dad... before he passed," gilbert began.

"he told me to remember that it's a big world. and i know, that's only a few words. but it got me thinking, y/n. my dad was always a traveler at heart. and i think... so am i. i want to see the world, y/n! and if not for me... for him." he told her.

gilbert looked at y/n with pleading eyes, but she said nothing.

"say something." gilbert whispered to her, taking her hands in his and squeezing them softly.

"what are you saying?" y/n asked quietly. gilbert pushed a few strands of y/n's hair behind her ear and examined her face, as if he were memorizing it's features.

"y/n, i'm leaving." he said to her. y/n's eyes widened.

"what? leaving where?" she asked immediately.

"i don't know... i'm going to get on a steamer and let it take me wherever. but i'll be back, y/n. i just need to see the world-- it's so much bigger than just avonlea." gilbert said, caressing her cheek with his thumb comfortingly.

"so... this is it?" y/n asked, her voice trembling.

gilbert nodded and smiled at her sadly.

"for now." he whispered.

y/n felt tears brimming her eyes as she tackled him with a hug.

gilbert was taken aback, but he held her tightly.

"i'll miss you, gil." y/n whispered to him.

***

and that's how it happened.

four months ago, gilbert had left avonlea to go who knows where.

he hadn't written to her in a month-- and she couldn't write to him either. she wouldn't know where to send the letter, because at this point he could be anywhere.

she was worried sick about him. if anything had happened to him... she'd just go crazy.

it was a saturday today. her and diana were going to anne's house. they had grown close ever since gilbert left. she couldn't have gone those four months just confiding in herself-- so she had to throw herself out there and make more friends.

she walked the path to anne's house. it reminded her of all the times her and gilbert walked together, laughing about random stuff like the dumb things billy andrews did.

she squeezed the heart locket she had around her neck as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

gilbert had given her that locket for her thirteenth birthday. she put it on the day he left, and never took it off.