spin the bottle

chatter filled the schoolhouse as students arrived and took their seats. y/n walked into school with her friend, diana barry.

they took their seats, next to each other of course, and chattered away with the other girls as much as they could before the dreadful mr. philips came out from the back room and yelled at them to settle down.

this was a routine-- the girls would bunch together and talk about things like (to y/n's dismay) needlepoint, and the boys would do the same and talk about things like hunting and girls.

"mother has been teaching me how to sew. we've been working on my trousseau, and i've already embroidered multiple linens with the initials g.b.," ruby gillis sighed dreamily, turning her attention to her crush, gilbert blythe.

"we'll get married someday." she added. y/n shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"my mother started mine when i was born, as her mother did for her." josie pye said proudly.

the girls continued to giggle and chatter away about weddings and boys. y/n sat silently and just listened. this wasn't the kind of stuff she particularly enjoyed. she didn't like the boys. they were all mean and very annoying.

all except that gilbert blythe.

y/n quickly pushed that thought away. 

ruby has dibs, she reminded herself in her head. it was so dumb how they thought they could simply "claim" a boy, but if she wanted to fit in, she'd have to deal with it.

______________________________________

after a very boring lesson from a dull and unenthusiastic mr. philips, it was lunch time. everybody went outside to get their milk and settled in to eat with their friends.

meanwhile, josie pye had an idea.

"you know, all this talk about weddings has me thinking... what if we played a few parlor games?" she asked innocently.

the girls all look at each other and agreed that would be fun to do.

"...with the boys." josie finished, taking a bite of her strawberry tart.

"well, what game would we play?" jane andrews asked. josie smirked.

"spin the bottle, of course."

__________________________________________

josie went to tell the boys while the rest of the girls sat and waited for the boys to come over. when they did, they grabbed tilly boulter's empty milk glass and set it in the middle of the circle.

y/n sat uncomfortably next to diana and anne. she couldn't help but notice gilbert blythe looking at her in an odd, examining way.

she shyly smiled at him, and he smiled back. she turned away, but he didn't.

"okay, here are the rules," josie began.

"someone will spin the bottle; whoever it lands on they have to kiss. but it has to be boy girl, boy girl." she explained.