16

"You need to confront him!"

I'm sitting in the room. I go to the only two people I know to talk to about the fact that last night Nero confessed his love for Coco. As usual Camille is being blunt and direct telling me that I need to confront him.

"I think you need to confront her," Lucca is saying, "Think about it. You never confront the man. Especially not when the man is a king. I mean. You still have a fighting chance."

"We need you to get him back," Camille responds.

"Camille!"

"It's ok," I reply crossing my arms, "I know why you two are here. I know what why you two are friends with me. You thought Nero and I would end up together and that I'd help raise your reputation in Eden. I get it. I also understand if you go back to Coco."

"Oh please, Coco won't take us back," Camille responds.

Lucca elbows her at that moment, "What Camille means to say is that in the beginning that might have been our motivation but believe it or not...we care about you Santos. We love you. This isn't about social climbing...not anymore."

"Is isn't?" Camille asks, before fixing her mouth quickly to add, "No, it isn't."

Lucca puts his arm over me at that moment, "We are here for you Santos. And I have no motivation when I tell you this shit is heartbreaking."

Camille grabs onto the other arm. It is bittersweet that they are admitting that they honestly do care. A part of me liked hanging around with them because I felt like they didn't. I felt like it was all business with them. Now that I knew they actually did like me things just seemed to go into that uncomfortable zone. How could they give me honest advice if they had their emotions involved in this?

Why now that I have real friends do I feel the most alone than I've ever felt in Eden?

"We should get to Combat. We're running late," I say.

"Santos...what are you going to do about Nero?"

"Nothing. He's made his choice. I want him to be happy."

How could he be happy with me? I was a monster. I walk out of the room feeling the pain. I should have known this was going to happen. Armando warned me. Aiden warned me.

When Nero found out who I really was and what I was really about he wouldn't want anything to do with me.

And they were right.

Constantine makes a long speech in the beginning of combat class. The 2nd half of the semester has started. It's mid January but luckily it doesn't get cold in Eden. It stays the same lukewarm perfect ideal weather. This really was paradise. I miss most of what Constantine is saying because I see that Nero is on the mat next to Coco. They're talking...yet again. My heart is racing yet again. I hate the fact that Nero doesn't even have the balls to break up with me before moving on first...but maybe he's scared that I'll snap.

Maybe I will snap...

I can't imagine doing to Nero what I did to Raul.

I catch the end of what Constantine is telling the class, "It's time to prepare. The Rogue threat is getting stronger behind these gates. Everywhere in the city the vampires of Eden are preparing for another attack against the forces of darkness. Children are made to believe that the monsters are hiding under their beds or in their closets. They are made to believe that monsters are hiding in the darkness. We vampires know better. The monsters are outside our garden, getting ready to come in!"

Monsters. That's what Constantine calls the rogues and I wonder if he is referring to me. Am I the monster hiding in the darkness. The rogues seem to think so.