1

The University of Felis was smaller than I thought. For as many programs as they had you would think it would be much bigger. They had world class facilities for such a small university. This was an elite place. The thing about Felis U is that it's a wealthy private college. You didn't have to be smart to get into this school. The total cost for the academic year was damn near 60 thousand dollars. It was rare that people got scholarships either.

I see the mascot of the cat when we arrive. It's in gold. Real gold. Not the knock off shit. No one steals it either because they have security around the statue. This place is stupid rich for no reason. Everyone is driving in all these luxury vehicles. To tell the truth I can't even hate on it because my dad drove a Bentley. Even the stupid mascot cat seemed too classy for no reason. It was a Persian cat for godsakes. It's a stupid fucking mascot. I guess Felis was the Genus classification for a cat as well as the name of the city so some nerd decided it was a good idea to have the University mascot be a cat. I can imagine the football games now. The domestic cats playing against lions, tigers and bears.

It was stupid as all fuck, but they had a good Philosophy program.

"I can't believe my baby is growing up."

"Ma...stop. My roommate can walk in any minute now."

"His parents will probably be doing the same thing."

The dorm room is bigger than I thought. Most schools don't have full size beds in the dorms with Egyptian cotton sheets and assistants waiting on you. This was Felis U, though.

The bed is decadent. My mom is crying. I did not look forward to this. Honestly, I just live 30 minutes away. Pops looks embarrassed for me. My little brother Joziah is too busy playing Pokemon Go to really give a fuck about my send-off.

"Don't worry Mrs. Choice. I got your son. He'll be OK," a voice says.

It isn't my new roommate, fortunately that walks in. The last thing I want is for him to meet my family. It is my best friend who walks into the room. Jordan. I was happy I wasn't attending this college myself. Jordan and I have always passed for brothers. We were both just 5'9". I didn't work out or anything like that but I had a natural muscle tone. Jordan is a little bit more on the stockier side but I definitely plan on putting on some more weight. Jordan smiles and he has a slight gap that he hates but I think it looks unique. Right now he is giving my mother that gappy smile of his and it seems like everything is right again when he does.

"Jordan, when did you come in?" my mom asks.

"A few hours ago. My mom said she called you a few times," Jordan replies, "I think they are down in the lobby. The school is having something for the other families. Going over security and what not. Letting you guys know we won't get murdered while you're away."

Jordan's family has always been close to my family. My little brother had a crush on his little sister. He's been my best friend since we were kids. Maybe that's why my mother feels comfortable enough to punch him in the arm.

"Don't play with me like that goddam it," she says before grabbing him up, "You better take care of Mariano."

"Mars is in good hands," Jordan responds, "I'll protect him from all the bad influences..."

"The Gamma's are going to have a lot of those," my dad says winking at me.

I know my dad. I know what he's talking about and it's causing Jordan to smile from ear to ear. Even the mention of the Gammas is causing my mother to cringe. My dad had told stories after stories about what went down in his old fraternity house from the back in the day. They always made my mother so uncomfortable and now that I was planning on becoming a Gamma my mother was scared as hell.