Thirty

My desk was usually neat and precise. I liked to keep it uncluttered so I knew where everything was, and all the papers were easy to find. Maybe some of my OCD kicked in when it came to order but I still liked to know where everything was placed. After all, cleanliness is next to godliness.

So I hated having to sift through my desk for a document, when two bouquets of flowers were in the way.

Purple blending into grey orchids layered beautifully with tall green leaves within the vase. The other vase held bountiful lilacs that filled my office with sweet aromas. Harry's little note explained who the flowers were from, and asked for forgiveness. He also mentioned that he was going to stay in a hotel, so I could sleep at his house until I found a proper apartment. Harry never knew when to stop giving. My heart swelled upon seeing the flowers, so delicately placed in the pretty vase. I wasn't one for flowers, but something about the gesture made me feel like Harry truly knew he screwed up.

Thankfully, he was at work today. He was cooped up in his office, never coming out. I didn't think he knew that I came in today. Throughout the morning, I was trying to think of what to say to Harry. I wanted to ease back into things, and really get to know Harry before I got heartbroken again. More than once, I went up to his door and was about to knock when Mr. Frederick would call me back to do something he could do himself, if he really tried.

Frustrated by my failing attempts to talk to Harry, I decided I was just going to wait until the end of the day.

"Arabella! Give these to Styles," Frederick says handing me a manuscript. Feeling hopeful I'd finally be able to talk to Harry, I practically skip to the door. "And no dilly-dallying!" Frederick shouts at my back.

Knocking on the wood door, I try to think of what to say to him. I love you and I forgive you. You were an ass, but I was one too? Nothing sounded right, so I just decided to wing it.

Harry didn't look up from his files when I walked in his office. Instead he muttered, "What?" under his breath. Harry's long curls were falling in his eyes, but he never bothered to push them away. A stubble was starting to form on his upper lip and cheeks, but it made him so much sexier. Somehow, it made his pink lips even pinker. His normal black suit hugged his body, showing off what I was missing out on.

Too engrossed in his papers to notice me, I approach his desk and drop the heavy manuscript with a thud on top of his papers. "You need to shave."

Harry's head snaps up so fast, I'm afraid it will fall off. An astonished look is rested on his features, amazed that I would come to work. His mouth is dropped open, speechless at my appearance.

"These are from Mr. Frederick," I motion to the manuscript. "And you don't have to stay at a hotel."

A small smile spreads across his face. "You're coming back home?" He asks standing up from his desk and coming around to the front. "Did you get my flowers? Arabella, please forgive me. I'm an ass; I lost all contact with Delilah. And now that Mr. Wells got arrested, I'm finished with that whole family. Please-"

I cut Harry's rambling off. " You can explain it all later tonight. Mr. Frederick is in one of his moods, so he's making me stay late for calling in those two days."

Harry abruptly wraps his arms around me and hugs me tight, burying his head into my hair. "I'm so sorry Arabella. I tried to stop by your brother's house, but Spencer kicked me to the curb." I can't help but giggle from this predicament. Harry's voice is muffled from being in my hair. "And then you didn't show up to work, so I thought you quit your job because of me. I even thought about quitting so you can work. I tried sending you flowers, but I knew you brother wouldn't let them into the house, so I put them on your desk."