Chapter 11- My Man

The buzzing sound of the doorbell roused me from my sleep. Checking the time from my phone which indicated that it's seven in the morning I turned to Luke who was still snoring on my side. I shook him as hard as I can, but he remained asleep. The buzzing sound relentlessly when on which caused me to shake him harder. Groggily, his eyes fluttered open with eyebrows furrowed.

"Luke, someone's on the door." I mumbled as he frowned, eyes partly open "Fucking get it, I'm sleeping." Wow, asshole much. "Luke, it can be Christen just go get it."

"God, I don't give a shit. Just let me sleep." He groaned. I tried to convince him once again but it seems as though sleep is his priority over everything. "I'm telling you, she's not gonna come here." I lazily crawled off the bed with my eyes forcing it to close wondering who this could be. Without thinking of anything else, I opened the door and then suddenly I felt as though a mug of scalding hot coffee was splashed onto my face. It was Christen, dressed very neatly in front of me whose hair was scruffy and obviously just had gotten out of bed. I witnessed how consternation crept on her face with her eyes expanding in I don't know whether horror or discomposure.

"It's not what you think," I shook my head but hell, I sounded guilty. Tears brimmed her eyes as she pinned her glare on me that seemed to pierce my face. "You bitch," She upbraided; dropping the bag of McDonald's on the floor and threw the cups of coffee on me. I felt the cup hit my skin as the content poured on my chest soaking my cotton tank top going all the way down to my legs. I hope I don't get a burn for this.

"Christen, it's not what you think" I explained looking stupid as I reeked of coffee. I couldn't furthermore decipher as to why this is becoming my liability. Luke suddenly came out of our room only in his shirt and his boxer shorts looking guiltier than ever "Don't fucking fool me! All my life I've been trashed so don't tell me that there's something I don't understand!"

"Just please calm down first," Luke rushed in front of her who was still standing on the doorframe. She wasn't done at all even when tears streamed her eyes already. "You," She pointed at me.

"I thought we could be friends, but you're this little hoe that couldn't contain herself that's why you threw yourself on my fucking man. I shouldn't have known that you fucking itch— I could've stopped you right there when you and Luke were talking on your birthday," I never imagined that Christen would talk as grimy as this— every word emphasized. My heart was pounding so terribly while my thoughts raced, wishing to be said but with full strength I tried to stop them. He was never your man. He was my man for five goddamn years— we built each other.

"Christen, please" Luke held her forearm but she drubbed his arms. "I thought you were different, " She scoffed. Like any movies that involved confrontation about cheating, Luke pleaded her to allow him to explain. But she rubbed her eyes smudging her peach eye shadow before speaking again. "I'm fucking done here. Happy life cheaters." She stormed outside where Luke failed to follow her for he wasn't wearing any trousers.

The door slammed shut. The coffee stain on my top was getting less warmer but my skin subtly burned from the temperature of the coffee after it was thrown on me Luke rushed inside the bedroom, came out with jeans and I was still here with the coffee cup on the floor, my feet standing on the warm puddle of caffeine.

"You know what; it's your fucking fault, Stacy." My ears stung at his statement as I grabbed his forearm. I was about to say something but I lost it. "You could've looked at the peephole," He removed my hand as he rushed outside. The door slammed for the second time.

Oh.

The clocked ticked a few seconds before I was able to fully soak up what just happened. I wiggled my toe and walked to the kitchen where the spinning mop was located. I brought it near the door and started to mop the spilt coffee until the floor was no longer sticky. Afterwards, I threw the murky water on the bathroom and tried to figure out what to do with the pungent smell of coffee spreading all over the air. Sighing, I locked the door and sat on the tub without even taking my coffee stained top off. It is certainly disgusting, but I couldn't think clearly anymore. You see, I just woke up and there's nothing else inside my mind other then getting up and that is not really my accountability to think of Christen all the time because that is Luke's choice and we're only staying here in this house. I turned the knob of the shower as the water flowed and dropped on my scruffy hair and that's where I lost it. Tears were all over my face but I couldn't feel it at all for it ran down together with the water. My heart is so tired. I wanted to revolt too. I wanted to holler at her face the things she doesn't understand and for calling me a hoe, but if I were in her shoes too I'd pretty much react the same. But the way it departed her lips, the way she called Luke as her man- that's really where I wanted to erode. It will never be something I can easily digest that he belongs to someone else, that he is somebody else's man. No one deserves to call him that, even her. Christen isn't the one who invested for five goddamn years, she isn't the one who handled him when he wasn't bearable at all, she isn't the one who helped him grow, she isn't the one who... loved him at times when he wasn't lovable at all. He had always been mine. But I'm not the one now.

I spent almost an hour in the shower thinking about everything as my mind constantly brings the little moment Luke and I shared where the fragility on his face was so evident, so transparent I almost thought I was dreaming. I must be really dreaming that night. I wish it never happened. I left the bathroom, wrapped a towel on my body and went inside the bedroom. It feels heavier here. I sat on the bed and reached for my phone and dialled the number of the office. "Hello, Clef Studio. How may I help you?" Holly, the receptionist politely spoke on the other line. "Hey Holly, It's me Stacy,"

"Oh hey, can you please connect me to Mr. Lovelis? If he's available" I said. "Hang on, I'll check." After a few seconds, Holly spoke again. "Apologies, Stacy but Mr. Lovelis just left. May I know the reason?"

"I won't be able to make it today, I'm really sick." I lied. "Oh, get well soon, Stacy. We'll take care of everything." I thanked her and hung up the phone. I immediately got dressed, packed a few things inside my backpack and left the apartment. The bag of McDonald's was still there, in good shape so I picked it up and made my way out of the building. A homeless man was nearby the street as I gave him the two breakfast meals they just left on the floor as it instantly brought him joy. The thought of it somehow lifted my chest from where it was drowning. I took a cab and it didn't take me so long. In a span of five minutes I was in front of Calum's door. I hope he's already awake. I pressed the doorbell as he opened up immediately which made me let out a sigh of relief. Subtle music was playing on the background; I guess he's not alone. "Calum, can I just please stay for the night- I'm not going to work today and-"I was already talking abruptly while holding my breath as I looked at him. "What's wrong?" He led me inside where I saw Michael sitting on the couch doing another design for him and Calum's shirt and guitar strap customization business online. I sucked in a deep breath but I ended up crying again. When will this ever end?