Chapter six

(Y/N) woke up, hands clinging to her sides to try and protect herself from an enemy that was not there. Her breathing was shallow and quick as it took her a moment to understand that she was awake. A few deep breathes calmed her racing heart and she sat on the side of her bed. The moon still owned the sky, telling her that she had slept for a couple of hours. She rose to her feet and walked out of her room.

Pushing the doors to the library open, she instantly felt more relaxed. The grasping claws of those monsters could not reach her here. The warmth of the fire comforted her as she looked around. She walked over to the bookshelves and began to look for something that caught her interest. Unfortunately,she found nothing. A low sigh escaped her lips. She turned to sit down when she noticed a couple of books on a desk. She walked over to them and examined them. The Fade. Spirits of The Fade. Her head tilted a little at the titles, Ghirahim must have been reading these because one was open. Her eyes scanned the words and slowly her brow lifted in slight confusion. This book talks about Spirits trapped in a place called The Fade. That name was coated in familiarity, like returning to your childhood house after being away for years. Why? She set the book down and picked the other up. The words and information this book gave her unsettled her, it was like reading her own nightmares to the perfect details, and that scared her. An image, or drawing, presented itself as the place her nightmares always took her. Stone ground with cracks ranging in size and pillars standing crumbled. A thin, light fog laid over the ground near a large hole in the stone wall, where the demon would try and drag her out of.

She carefully lowered the book but kept her grip on it, her (E/C) eyes locked on the floor whilst her mind attempted to understand what she just read. This book contained information about the strange place that she dreamt of but never been to nor heard of. That she could remember. It said that no one could enter physically, so when she dreams, does she somehow get there without realising? That did not seem possible as she had no experience in dream related magic, did that mean. . . she was not normal? She knew she was not truly normal with her ability to make others forget about her but she just assumed it was an ability passed down by whatever family she once had. Wait. Did she have a family? She snatched the second book again, discarding the other on the desk. The Fade inhabited by demons and spirits. There was no possible chance that she was a demon because she had no lust to kill or harm in any way, did that make her a spirit? Did she somehow escape The Fade? Waves upon waves of questions flooded her mind, blocking out anything else. For a moment, (Y/N) felt as if she was about to faint. Everything she thought she knew was a lie. Was she even real?

(Y/N) leaned against one bookshelf to support herself, lowering herself onto the floor and pulling her knees to her chest. She needed to calm down. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Her eyes landed on the books again, they were mocking her, tempting her to continue reading to learn more but to have her mind with questions. Taking her wide-brimmed hat off and setting it aside, she ran her hands through her (H/C) hair and sighed. Her disorganised mess of a mind calmed down as she took slow steady breaths. If she wanted answers, she needed to be calm and collected. After a minute of sitting and calming down, she was more focused than before. She picked up her hat and placed it back on her head. Her gaze returned to those books, beckoning her to read on. She needed to know what she was at least. Rising to her feet, she walked to the books again.

The Spirits of The Fade book seemed to be more likely to tell her what she was. Her (E/C) eyes looked over the old handwriting slowly, absorbing the information thoroughly, not wanting to miss a single bit. There were drawings of some spirits but not all of them: Flame spirits, Winds spirits, Spirits of Light and Vengeance Spirits. The other drawings were of demons. They matched the ones from her nightmares to the finest detail from the bone-like claws to the ragged skin to the piercing cold, black eyes. (Y/N) felt a shiver rake down her spine at the drawings, for a moment, she thought one of the drawings was going to move but they didn't. Her confusion and disbelief melted away and was replaced with interest and wonder about the Fade, yet she could feel a sense of uneasiness at its name.

A few minutes had ticked by and she hadn't pinpointed what spirit she was, there were small hints and clues but she wanted to be certain. A quiet hum escaped her, maybe Ghirahim would know seeing as he has been reading these books. He would know something more about it than she does.

Appearing out of the small cloud of smoke in the throne room, her (E/C) eyes glanced around to find the white-haired demon. Just as she was about to take a step forward, she stopped. There was something else that lingered in the air here, something dark. Hushed hissing of bitter hatred faintly floated in the air. A whisper of arrogance and loyalty followed in its wake but nothing else. (Y/N) was a little thankful to sense that the source of the hushed hisses led outside, away from the castle. She turned her head and continued her search for Ghirahim.

The female found the Demon Lord on one of the castle's battlements, he seemed calm and relaxed. She stood there for a moment, book still in her hands, and watched. His eyes were closed as a gentle breeze pushed his hair aside. The corners of his white lips were tugged up into a small, almost unnoticeable smile. (Y/N) gave a small head tilt, it was a picture of peace.

"Calming wind brushes over you, snatching strings of anger from you, leaving you in peace." her words caught his attention. His body jolted in shock at her sudden appearance.

"Stop doing that." Ghirahim spoke, his words were a little stern as he recovered from the little heart attack (Y/N) almost gave him. (Y/N)'s (E/C) eyes remained on the Demon Lord.

"Stop what?" she questioned, he placed his hand on his hip.

"Popping out of the air." Ghirahim's tone was a little calmer now as he flicked his hair. She took a seat on the stone blocks that constructed the battlements,

"I don't pop from the air. I walked here. Silent steps that fail to create sound." she explained simply. Her gaze fell back to the book, the sole reason why she was looking for him in the first place. His gaze also fell upon the old book and his eyes widened slightly.

"Constantly wandering around the wooded lands, unsure of who I am, unsure of what I am." she stopped for a second, a small grasping feeling filled her head. She just wanted to know what she was.

"What am I, Ghirahim?" (Y/N) looked into his dark eyes, she could sense a gust of uneasiness was over him. He knew.

"The abilities you posses are found in spirits from the Fade, more specifically, a Spirit of Compassion." he replied. No deception was emitted from him so she knew he was telling the truth. (Y/N) allowed the information to process and sink in. A Compassion Spirit, the small description that was provided by the book did match her personality in a way. Everything did make sense now as if a cloth was removed from her mind, however, her memories remained lost.

"(Y/N)?" Ghirahim pulled her from her thoughts by snapping his fingers in front of her pale face. She looked up at him,

"Thank you for telling me." she replied, a faint smile lifted her lips. Deep inside Ghirahim, he felt something stir in his chest that he was unfamiliar with. It felt. . . warm. A smirk pulled his lips.

"It's nothing. It is important you know what you are." he said, the hatted girl glanced down.

"Nothing will change. I will still help because I want to help." she said but Ghirahim held his hand up, signalling for her to stop.

"Don't slave yourself away, that's a servant's job. And you are no servant." he told her. "You may help but don't make yourself a slave, understand?" (Y/N) nodded, she honestly would not mind just as long as she could help him, or anyone.

"No come, the wind is starting to pick up." with that, Ghirahim began to walk away but (Y/N) stopped him by grabbing his wrist. Before he could respond, she pulled him into a quick hug. The hug was brief, leaving Ghirahim confused as she walked away.

Thank you for reading the chapter and I'm sorry for the late update. Please leave feedback.