Chapter thirteen

Ghirahim's head throbbed in pain, his mind swimming in confusion. His eyes slightly stung as he sat upright. The room he awoke in was strange. The stone walls were cracked, coated in spiderwebs. A thin fog hung above the floor, the air was thick with smoke. He stood up, snapping his fingers to summon his sword but nothing happened. There was something in this place with him. Ghirahim took a step forward and felt a shiver run down his spine, the cold nipped at his grey skin yet he ignored it. He pushed the door open and confusion engulfed his mind. He was back at the castle. The fog still hung above the carpeted floor and the torches were barely glowing.

Caution was in every step that he took down the hall, his senses strained to detect any threat closely. Again, he attempted to summon his sword but nothing happened. He reached the throne room and carefully pushed the door open, peering into the dark room. Something sat upon the throne but the shadows consumed the creature. Suddenly, a blazing flame erupted on the person's head, Ghirahim instantly recognised who it was. Master Demise. The Demon King rose from the throne, his gaze locked onto Ghirahim. Something was wrong about him, his eyes were pure white. 

"Is this shape enough? Will it let me know you?" his voice was wrong. It had an echo to it. Ghirahim watched in confusion as Demise walked down the steps. "A Demon Lord from the Surface. So different from us. Not like me." it spoke as it approached him. Ghirahim's lips pulled into a scowl. 

"You are not Master Demise. How dare you attempt to impose him." he growled. Demise released an unsettling chuckle 

"You don't understand. If I wore your face, became you, I will rule. Let me become you ." and with that, Demise vanished into a dark mist. Ghirahim looked around to see the throne room shift. The cracks grew and dark plants sprouted from them.

He darted out the throne room into the hallway. Whatever that creature was it must be the cause of all this. Ghirahim pushed a door open to find himself in the dungeon, he saw Demise standing in front of someone. The Demon Lord focused on the scene. 

"Why did you help that mortal?" he asked the figure. The individual appeared to be Ghirahim but like a shadow version of him. The Demon King reached for a dagger and gripped the side of the shadow's head, placing the dagger next to his ear. Rage flared in Demise's eyes, the dagger dug into his ear just as the two figures evaporated. Ghirahim felt his head ache from the memory.

"Keep walking." he heard someone say. The voice was different from the creature's but he knew he had to be careful in what he trusted. He pushed on, ignoring the feeling of dread claw at his bones. Pushing the door open, Ghirahim found himself in another hallway, the door he just left was gone. The doors in the hall were locked, leaving him confused as to where he could go.

"The painting of the room. Go through it." the voice spoke. He turned his head to find the painting hung up on the stone wall. The painting was of a bedroom with the furniture misplaced: the bed was on the ceiling, tables and chairs were standing on the walls, yet the built-in fireplace remained correctly in place. Slowly, Ghirahim extended his right gloved hand towards the painting and watched in confusion as his hand passed through the painting as if he dipped his hand in water. 

The entire room spun as Ghirahim fell through the frame and landed on the floor of the bedroom. How was that possible? Standing up, he dusted off his clothing and took in his new surroundings. The empty fireplace was now alive with flame, throwing their warmth throughout the room. 

"I must be losing my mind." Ghirahim muttered to himself as he walked towards the door.

"No, you're not losing your mind." the voice spoke again. He spun around on his heel, facing the room again. His dark eyes scanning the room for the owner of the voice.