Letter #3

Three:

"Ready to go?" Calum asked his blonde friend, offering her a sympathetic smile as he stood behind where she sat, looking at Ashton's grave

"Ready to go?" Calum asked his blonde friend, offering her a sympathetic smile as he stood behind where she sat, looking at Ashton's grave. The two of them hadn't been the same since Ashton's death just three months prior, understandably, and so they always visited his grave together because it was too hard to go alone.

Alana took a deep breath before nodding, standing up and closing her eyes briefly, telling Ashton that she loved him before wrapping her hand around Calum's arm as they headed to Calum's car. The two of them had stopped by Ashton's grave after Alana had finished work, deciding to go back to Alana's house and order takeout afterwards. The cemetery was only a fifteen minute walk from Alana's work, but Calum insisted on driving because it was cold outside and he didn't want her to get sick, no matter how many times she insisted on walking.

Alana always was stubborn, so much so that it almost annoyed Calum, but if there was anyone who could make her do something, it was him. Their friendship was quite literally a saving grace; Ashton's death had broken them both, but together they were slowly but surely coping.

Calum pulled up opposite Alana's house, just in front of the house that belonged to her old neighbor, Winnie. "Calum, what did I tell you about parking outside of Winnie's house?"

The two of them climbed out of the car and looked at Winnie's house briefly before walking across the road and to Alana's door. Calum simply shrugged in response to his friend, "She doesn't have a car, and she doesn't get visitors. To me, that's a free parking space."

"She has told me countless times that she doesn't want you parking in front of her house. She says it blocks the view from her window so she can't spy on Charles next door." Alana responded as they entered her house, immediately appreciating the warmth.

"Isn't he married?" Calum asked, scrunching up his nose in confusion. For someone who didn't speak to her neighbors, Alana knew a lot about them. She didn't hate them, she just didn't speak to them that often. Winnie was the only other neighbor than Dani who Alana spoke to, but it was mainly just Winnie complaining to Alana.

Alana bent down to pick up her mail. "Yeah, but she says he's nice to look at."

Alana sifted through the small pile of envelopes before spotting a white envelope with familiar handwriting, making Alana raise an eyebrow. Mia Harris. She wondered what the letter said, and how long it would take for Luke to realise that he was sending letters to the wrong house; this was the third letter he had sent now. It had been just over a week since the first letter had come, and Alana didn't think a second one would.

"Everything OK?" Calum asked, noticing that Alana had been staring at an envelope for a few moments. He wondered if it was a letter that involved Ashton; the thought made his heart sink. He missed his best friend terribly, and no matter how much having Alana helped, nothing would ever fill the gap in his life that Ashton left.