Letter #11

Eleven:

Three days

Three days.

It was three days until the four month anniversary of Ashton's death. To most, four months wasn't really a milestone worth remembering, but to Alana, it was. Four months since she had last seen his face. Four months since she had last heard his voice. Four months since the worst day of her life. Four months that felt like a lifetime. She had thought that by now, things would be easier. That getting up everyday would feel like less of a chore, that going to work would become exciting again and that life would simply be better.

But it wasn't.

She still woke up every morning with dark circles due to a restless night of tossing and turning. She still dragged herself to work with no ambition. She still felt as though she was simply existing, not living. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't find joy in anything at all.

She was hurting a lot today, to say the very least.

Cal:
Want a ride home? I'm in the city.

The phone screen lit up at the notification, contributing to the light of Alana's desk lamp in her dim lit office. She was one of the last of her fellow staff to leave, since she needed to finish writing a piece that was due soon, but she just couldn't find the motivation to finish it. She didn't find joy in writing anymore, at least not as much as she used to.

Alana:
I can walk, it's fine. Thank you, though.

Not a minute later, Calum replied.

Cal:
Too late. I'll be 5 minutes.

Alana expected nothing less from Calum– it seemed as though he was always driving her around that she didn't even need her own car. The weather had been beautiful when she had left her house this morning and so she had decided to walk to work, however it had soon turned bleak and it was now hammering it down with rain. Of course, Alana didn't mind, but Calum clearly did.

Calum, true to his word, was parked outside of Alana's building five minutes later, bopping his head to the radio. Alana pulled her hood over her head and walked over to his car, climbing into the passenger seat and smiling at him.

"Vanilla latte for you, pumpkin." Calum smirked and Alana rolled her eyes but thanked him as she took the coffee out of his hands, enjoying the aroma that filled her nose before taking a sip. Pumpkin, was the nickname that Calum had teased Alana with ever since they met– back when they couldn't stand each other. He still used it to annoy her sometimes, but now she didn't mind so much. "I can't believe you were going to walk home in this weather. Actually, I can believe it. I just don't know why you would."