Letter #7

Seven:

Alana hadn't done much; it was Saturday and after spending the entirety of the week working, she had spent the majority of her day lounging around the house and putting off chores such as doing laundry and washing the dishes

Alana hadn't done much; it was Saturday and after spending the entirety of the week working, she had spent the majority of her day lounging around the house and putting off chores such as doing laundry and washing the dishes. She had even gotten through an entire season of Friends, one of Ashton's favourite TV shows but she was still bored. Around three in the afternoon, a letter had arrived at Alana's house. She was honestly surprised that the letters were still going back and forth between the two of them.

Alana,

I hope you're well– no disappointment at all.

That's exactly what my best friend, Michael, tells me. But I suppose I always have been one to care too much for my own good. It's a blessing and a curse.
It's been a tough few weeks, well, years, which I guess is the purpose for the letters in the first place– I think they're more for me than for her. A way of coping.
A senile cat lady? Interesting. Myself, I prefer dogs, but I suppose some cats are fine. Just not the hairless ones– they look like they're inside out.
Writing to escape from life? That makes two of us. Do you like to read? It helps too. My personal favourite– Wuthering Heights. Cliche, but classic. I'm a sucker for romance.
You're right, everything may not happen for a reason, we'll never know, but isn't it slightly morbid to think that there's not a purpose for us all?
Don't ever be sorry, Alana. Especially not for what you believe in.

Be happy,
Luke

Unlike Luke, Alana didn't smile at his letter. In fact, she frowned as she read his words. He was right, he did seem too kind for his own good. He also seemed too positive about everything and, aside from the drinking and overthinking, he was. The way he wrote made it seem like he lived in a dreamworld where anything was possible, but life wasn't like that. Nevertheless, Alana almost liked having these letters. It gave her something to do, and meant that she spent less time crying about Ashton and more time reading and writing.

"Still writing that news piece?" Calum asked. The two of them were hanging out at Alana's house, as per usual, and were currently slumped on the couch watching a new TV series that Calum had insisted on watching. Alana had told Calum that she was reading a draft of a new piece she was working on, so that he wouldn't question why she was writing letters to a guy she didn't know.

Alana looked up from the letter, realising what Calum was speaking about before nodding. "Yeah... just trying to write some more."

"Want me to read it?" Calum asked. Alana usually asked Calum to proof read her work, much like how she used to ask Ashton, and he would usually prompt her on how to continue but this time, as he reached over to take the letter, she snatched it away and held it out of his reach. "What's wrong with you?"