Chapter 3

*** 5 months later***

My father stands from his seat and makes his way to the front of the room to where the microphone is set up. He wipes a single tear that is making it's way down his face and takes a deep breath, "Wow, where have the years gone? I feel like it was just yesterday that you were making me wear that horrible princess tiara while you painted my nails. You told me that if I was going to be the leader of the pack that I needed to look the part. You have brought so much joy to my life over the years. I have had the privilege of watching you grow into the amazing women that sits before me."

I lean into Oliver who is sitting beside me. Oliver places his hand on my thigh and gives it a soft squeeze.

My dad wipes another tear from his eyes. "I watched you go from leading a pack of stuffed animals to leading a pack of people. Where has the time gone." He runs his hand through his hair before he continues, " I knew this day was going to come but I didn't think it would come this soon. I couldn't have picked a better man for you to share your life with. If I didn't know with every ounce of my being that Oliver will love you more than I could even dream, then I wouldn't let him take your hand. Oliver, I am giving you my most treasured possession, please take care of her. I know that you two are already mates, but this makes it all the more real. The only thing that I would change about this whole thing is I wish Skylen was here to see the beautiful women you are Mia. I'm sure that she would be proud."

At the mention of my mother's name, my dad runs the back of his hand over his eyes to dry the tears that are slipping out.

I reach up and dab my own eyes with the tissue that I have crumpled up in my hand. I stand up as my dad walks over to me.

Oliver follows my lead and stands as well.

Dad places his hands around my back and I place mine around his neck as we hug each other tightly. Oliver's hand hovers on my lower back for support which I gladly take.

"I miss mom too", I whisper in his ear.

My dad steps back and squeezes Oliver's arm, "I look forward to calling you, my son". Dad then walks back to his seat.

Avery waddles up to where the microphone is and looks exhausted when she finally gets to it. "Okay, next time why don't we make a rule that the balloon gets the microphone brought to her. Now on to what I really want to say! Mia, Oliver, I have watched you both grow up. Heck, I grew up alongside both of you! Oliver, I remember running around in diapers together and when Mia was born I remember sneaking up to the nursery and glancing up at her sleeping form in amazement. We would sneak up there often and sometimes we would get caught. If Alpha Williams stumbled upon us, then we would get a stern look but if Luna Skylan came across us she would lower Mia to our level and let us softly stroke her arms. Soon you started crawling and Oliver and I were always right beside you trying to get you to walk or trying to carry you around. We never could hold you for very long since we were little as well.

"There was one time where we tried to put you in a chair after you just started walking but you fell and started screaming. We ran and vowed to blame it on the ghost and never tell anyone the truth. Well, here I am outing our secret. Sorry, Oliver." Everyone chuckled. "Mia, even though you are a little younger than Oliver and I, we never thought of you as a hassle. I never thought back then that I would be best friends with my Alphas. I see now looking back on memories that you two were made for each other. Growing up with your mate and your soon to be husband, Mia, you are very lucky.

"I know that I need to hurry this along. Mia, Oliver, you two are perfect for each other and I am honored to have seen you both grow into amazing people."

Avery waddled back to her seat with tears streaming down her face.

One by one everyone goes up to the microphone to share stories about myself or Oliver. Some of the stories I had known but others, such as the story of Oliver running around his house nude with his underwear on his head, were stories I had never heard before.

After everyone had talked we ate dinner as a family. Everyone that is present is family even if not by blood. As I look down the long table I think to myself just how grateful I am to have all of these wonderful people in my life.

I look at every person and watch how naturally everyone interacts. Avery is talking to Scarlett, Luke's mate, while her mate, Theo, places more food on Avery's plate. Avery is heavily pregnant with her and Theo's first child, a little boy they are naming Carter, meaning she is constantly hungry. Luke appears to be passing Theo more food to place on Avery's plate. I bet the boys are just trying to see how much food they can get on her plate before she notices. My father is happily chatting with Oliver's parents, Alan and Dawn, and Julie and Oliver seem to be engaged in a conversation on if the table clothes were cream or ivory.

My little family.

Like my father said before, the only thing that would make this evening better was if my mother was here to enjoy it with us.

I imagine that if mom was here she would be telling the guys to leave poor Avery alone or maybe saying that Julie and Oliver were both wrong and that the tablecloths were actually white. I wish more than anything that she was here to join us.

Before too long Avery turns to me, "I am going to get my beauty sleep. I suggest you do the same."

She taps Theo on the shoulder pulling him away from his conversation with my dad. "Carter and I are going to go up to bed."

Theo nods to Avery before telling everyone goodnight and heading up to bed as well.

I turn to the rest of the guests, "I think that I am going to head out too. I need to try to get some rest before the hectic day tomorrow."

"Goodnight sweetie", Julie says as my dad hugs me.

Oliver gets up to excuse himself as well, "I'm going to follow my beautiful bride. Goodnight everyone."

As we walk away from the table Oliver wraps his arm around me and pulls me close to his side.

I don't think that I will ever get used to the way his touch makes me feel.

Being in his arms makes me feel safe. I feel like nothing bad will ever happen when I am near him.

When we get to our room Oliver stops and turns to me, "I don't think you know just how much I love you."

We share a quick kiss before he turns and walks down the hall to a guest room that has been set up for him for the night.

We agreed a few nights ago that it would be best for us to sleep separate tonight, not for the superstition of not seeing each other the day of the wedding but so we didn't have to worry about disturbing the other person while getting ready.

I go into the room and the moment my head hits the soft pillow I fall asleep.