Chapter 7

*** three and a half years later***

I hear pitter pattering of feet running down the hall as I slowly open one eye. The sun is shining through the blinds bringing in the morning light. I yawn and stretch my arm out until I feel the lump sleeping next to me. 

Seeking more warmth I scoot over until I am tucked tightly against the sleeping being. I rest my head on Oliver's chest and feel myself melt into him as my head softly rises and falls with his chest. His heart beats in a steady rhythm that I find soothing.

I am content listening to his heart and I don't realize that he has woken up.

Oliver's arm comes up around my body and hugs me tightly, "Good morning my love".

I look up at him, resting my chin on his chest. "How can someone wake up looking as good as you do each morning?"

He chuckles and plants a kiss on my forehead knowing full well we will only have a few moments to ourselves.

The clock chimes 7 and a moment later the door is thrown open and two small figures dive onto the bed.

One sits on top of Oliver and the other kneels by my head.

"Mommy! Outside!"

"I hungryyyyyyyyy!"

Both children talk over one another and take no regard to it being only seven in the morning.

I sigh and look back at Oliver who is smiling at me.

As much as I would love to sleep in some mornings, I wouldn't change being woken up this way for anything.

Oliver sits up and stretches deeply before grabbing the child who was sitting on his lap. "Well you heard the girl. She's going to starve if we don't make her food right this moment."

I grunt and throw the blankets over my head. Moments later a little hand yanks the blanket back off.

A small hand grabs mine and Austin pulls with all his might. "Come on mommy! I wanna playyyyyyy!"

"Okay okay. I'm up." I roll out of bed and grab the excited toddler in my arms. Together Oliver and I carry our little balls of energy downstairs.

Ainsley and Austin have been keeping Oliver and I on our toes for the past three years. Since they first learned to crawl they have always been on the move. Sometimes I think that they team up against us, going in completely opposite directions and getting into things together. Keeping up with them only became harder when they learned to walk.

As I watch the children play together in the living room while breakfast is being cooked, I can't help but think to myself that I have the perfect little family.

They look so much alike that at times its scary. When they were babies people always asked if they were identical. Most babies don't look like a specific gender at that age so we would always laugh and explain that they are fraternal, a boy and a girl. Both children have their father's dark hair and gorgeous smile while they have my golden eyes and nose. They are a perfect blend of both of us.

I suddenly feel a hand snake around my stomach. I instantly feel at peace and lean into the person behind me knowing instantly that it is my husband.

"Oliver, we make such amazing, wonderful children together" I sigh as I continue to gaze upon the children.

Oliver chuckles, "I agree. I have an idea, I think that we should make more wonderful children".

I act like I am thinking hard on that thought when in reality I have already considered having another child. "You know, I think that that is a wonderful idea." I weave my way out of Oliver's arm and go over to the pan on the stove that contains the cooking pancakes. "We should get back to cooking before our pups become angry little beasts."

Oliver walks up behind me and pats my butt. "We should make more later." He winks at me and I can't help but bust out laughing.

On cue Ainsley runs up to Oliver and tugs lightly on his pants leg, "I hungryyyy."

Oliver reaches down and swings his daughter high into the air before propping her onto the counter. He kisses her forehead, "patience my princess. Breakfast is almost done."

I quickly finish cooking and place the pancakes in a stack and bring them to the table. I also bring over a bowl of fruit as a side.

Austin runs into the dinning room and climbs into his booster seat while Oliver places Ainsley in hers. Both children instantly begin to eat as if they haven't been fed in days. They must be going through a growth spurt. 

I glance out the window as everyone silently enjoys their food. The leaves are beginning to turn shades of orange and red, the trees preparing to shed their summer leaves. Being surrounded by nature brings a sense of peace over us wolves, being closer to nature makes us feel safe. This deep in the forest, away from humans, allows us to be ourselves without worrying about being seen. We are able to run free and not get questioned when we do things differently.

For instance, as the temperatures drop we will not need to be covered as much as the humans. Our naturally high temperatures allows us to endure the cold much better. In the winter we do need to bundle up, just not so much in the fall. With that being said, our young do need the extra layers since they do not have their wolf to keep them warm until around the age of six. Those of alpha blood do tend to get in touch with their wolf at a younger age, normally between the ages of 3 and 5. Oliver and I have been watching our pups closely knowing they could be turning at any time.

Austin slides out of his chair and races to the front door. "Ainsley lets go!"

Ainsley is beside her brother in a heartbeat, not willing to miss a second of the fun.

The children struggle to turn the doorknob as Avery arrives at the house.

"I smell food, did you leave me any?" Avery says as she walks into our house without so much as a knock. She is family and is over so often that she no longer waits for us to answer the door.

The children zip past Avery to join Carter in the yard.

I laugh at how well our kids get along. As I glance out at them I realize they they didn't grab their jackets. "Ainsley, Austin! Get back in here and let me put your coats on! You are going to get sick! You don't have shoes on?!"

They sigh and walk back into the house. Oliver grabs their jackets and I fetch their shoes. Once they have everything on they run back outside to continue playing.

I turn to Oliver and sigh, "They are your children after all."

"They get the whole no shoe thing from you. I clearly remember it being you who would constantly go outside with bare feet", Oliver says as he places his arm around my waist.

Avery can't help but laugh at us, "You two picker like an old married couple".

"We are married so ha! And only one of us is old and it's not me." I say and stick my tongue out at Oliver and Oliver sticks his tongue back out at me.

All three of us laugh as we walk outside to sit on the swing to watch our children play. I could not think of a better place to be.