Chapter 5

*** One Year Later***

The knocking on the door brings me suddenly from my dreams.

Without being let in, the door opens and softly shuts again.

"I come in peace", Avery's soft voice calls out as she makes her way into the living room to where I am sitting. She stops when she sees me in my PJs, "Well don't you look lovely today".

I look down at my shirt and notice a small wet spot has formed on my right shoulder. I must have been drooling while I napped.

"Oh leave me alone. It didn't sleep well last night, I couldn't get comfortable." Unashamed I sink further into the couch cushion in an attempt to fall back asleep.

She sighs and moves to the kitchen, "Do you want anything while I'm up? Water or food?"

I nod and ask for a glass of water.

When she returns she hands me my water and takes a seat next to me. I struggle to sit up and have to hand the glass back to Avery so not to spill it all over myself.

"How have you been? Don't give me the "I'm great" bull."

That has been my answer the last few weeks. Every time someone asked how I was feeling I would put on a happy face and tell them that I've never been better. When in reality I have felt like a stuffed pig.

"I have never had to pee so much in my life", I sigh looking at Avery with sad eyes.

She laughs at me and helps me set my glass of water back down on the table.

"How I don't miss those days!"

"How has my nephew been?" I asked changing the subject. I haven't seen Carter and Theo in about a week. Avery has been coming over by herself. In some ways, I am grateful for the quiet but I miss seeing my little bud.

"I think Carter has missed you too. He's been hobbling around the house on his unsteady feet grabbing for pictures that you are in. I figure you didn't want a one-year-old terrorizing your house at this point in your pregnancy."

I laugh and place my hand on my belly, "Yeah, you're probably right, but I miss him."

The topic of discussion changes from Carter to baby clothes and back to Carter.

I find myself drifting off in my mind once more. I think about how many things have happened in the past year.

After the wedding, Ollie and I flew to Australia for our honeymoon. Dad took over temporarily so that we could get away. We stayed there for a few weeks enjoying the wonderful weather and amazing scenery before flying back home. As much as I loved being there I was very glad to finally be back home.

Shortly after arriving back home Avery went into labor. She was in labor for a very long time before little Carter decided to make his appearance. I was right beside Avery the whole time to hold her hand. I saw just how painful childbirth was for her and that scares me. I know that it won't be a walk in the park but she only had one child to push out whereas I will have two.

Avery and Carter were released two days later from the hospital.

Things started to finally get back into a routine for the pack as well as Oliver and me. Even though we had already been mates at the time of our wedding, we still had to get used to being united officially around the humans. Things were also still new when it came to us being mates since we were only mates for about five months before the wedding.

Everything was going great until I started to feel ill. We had originally thought it was just the flu going around since some of the other pack members had recently gotten since. Every morning it seemed like I would get sick which I overlooked since I had many things going on.

It was actually Julie who brought up the idea that I should probably take a pregnancy test. At first, I was completely shocked and denied that even being a possibility. After a few more days of getting sick, I thought I would humor her by finally taking the test. To my shock, the test came back positive and a few days later my period never came.

I surprised Oliver when we ordered a pizza from a local pizza place and asked them to write a special message inside. When the pizza came I had Oliver open the box. Inside he read "the butterflies in my tummy have turned into two tiny feet." in pretty writing.

Upon reading the box he became silent. I had thought that he was upset by the news and began crying. Oliver then began to jump up and down which made my tears of horror turn into tears of joy. He couldn't believe the news and said that he was overjoyed by the news.

We went to an ultrasound, later on, to make sure that our baby was growing correctly only to find out that both our babies were healthy. Both of us were in shock when we learned that not only were we having a baby but we were having twins.

The pack was beyond happy to learn of their heir.

We decided to keep the fact that we are having twins a secret as well as the genders. That has been very hard to keep secret when setting up the nursery. We have had to keep the room under lock and key so that no one wonders in and discovers the two cribs.

We told everyone the names that we would pick if the baby was a girl or a boy. This allowed us to keep everyone involved by giving the babies names to be referred to and encouraged people to guess if the baby was a boy or a girl. Some people even went so far as to have baby hats and onesie embroiled with the names on them. It was a little game, team Ainsley Jade or team Austin Scott.

I zone back in as Avery continues talking about never getting any sleep, "Even now I rarely get a full nights sleep! Oh, and you can say bye-bye to your sex life. It will be none existent after the baby gets here. Every free moment you have is going to be dedicated to sleep. "

Placing my hand on my belly as a wave of cramps passes through my abdomen. Something doesn't feel quite right. I struggle to stand up trying to escape to the bathroom. When I finally manage to get to my feet I feel a warm sensation spreading down my inner thighs.

I look down in horror then back up to meet Avery's eyes. I can only imagine the terrified look that must be across my face as I softly whisper, "It's too early" in a shaky voice.

I knew that it was a real possibility that I could go into preterm labor having the twins but I wasn't prepared for it to actually happen.

Avery jumped into action immediately and grabbed her phone while slowly walking me to the front door.

I could hear her on the phone with who I assumed was Oliver by the way she spoke but I can't focus on what was being said. Too many things were going through my head.

Before I know it I am in the car as Avery drives to the hospital all while speaking calming words.

Ready or not, my babies wanted out.

*** Sorry! Nursing school has been hectic! I literally barely have time to eat some days. Can't promise that I won't disappear for months again but I am trying.***