Welcome To LA

I called a cab and cursed my way through LA traffic, praying I'd have the time to get in and get out unnoticed. Upon arriving, I vowed to waste no time on sentimentality, running to my room as fast as my tired legs would carry me. I tossed my clothes and the few belongings I'd brought along back into my suitcases, and changed into jeans and a tank top, throwing a jacket over my shoulders before heading back down the stairs.

I paused at the door, looking back at the house I grew up in. The intricate tile floors, the spiral staircase that I'd fallen down in a drunken haze on my fifteenth birthday, the gorgeous artwork hung on the walls that no one stopped to look at anymore, and the fresh-cut flowers in their crystal vases. It was palatial by all accounts, but it seemed smaller now, like I'd outgrown it. Beautiful as it was, there was nothing in that house for me but bad memories, and so I left for the last time, hopping back in the cab and instructing the driver to return to the courthouse.

I must've been waiting outside the Beverly Hills Courthouse for close to an hour when the flood of people started pouring through the doors. I hadn't expected the trial to go on for so long, and I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. Brielle was one of the last to leave.

As soon as she saw me standing there, she ran down the stairs and practically flung herself at me, wrapping her arms around my shoulders, her whole body trembling as she sobbed into my neck. Dread coursed through me. Was all of that for nothing?

"I won." She choked out finally, as if she couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth. "They threw everything at me; my contract, every relationship I've ever had, and I fucking won."

I hugged her back even tighter, crying too, relief filling my chest with an indescribable lightness.

When she finally let go, she was smiling, tears still dripping down her cheeks, and I was so unbelievably proud of her I had no idea what to say.

"What you did back there," She started, shaking her head, "So badass."

"Really?" I grinned. "They didn't throw it out?"

She laughed, "They absolutely threw it out! But only the last part. That was like, totally not allowed, but if I'm being honest it was the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for me. Claire testified after you, and she was awesome too. The jury took forever to deliberate, so I guess they listened to your little 'think long and hard' spiel after all."

"Claire's here?" The shock was evident in my voice. I hadn't seen her at all when I came in.

"Talk about a one track mind." She teased. "She's still inside."

No sooner than the words were out of her mouth, I saw a familiar face appear in the doorway, and before I knew it, Claire was hugging both of us, and it felt like being in the eye of a hurricane — one perfect moment amidst all the uncertainty that surrounded me.

I knew that all of the journalists from inside were probably clamouring over each other to try and get a photo of the three of us, but I didn't care.

"I'm in a celebrity sandwich." I mumbled, making Claire laugh.

"Just go with it." Brielle replied, squeezing us both.

When the moment was over, Claire looked between us, her eyes tearing up. "Both of you," she started, her voice cracking, "I'm so proud of you."

Brielle punched her in the arm playfully. "Look who's talking, Miss I-bring-receipts-on-everything. You must've had a million emails printed out of Steven being a creep and Cathy being... well, Cathy. The alphabetized list of threats was a nice touch. Seriously, Claire, that was insane."