Incorrigible

"We've already heard from Grace and Natalie, but what, in your experience, has been the most challenging part of bringing Breathe to the big screen?"

I looked to Claire expectantly, hoping she'd take the lead.

"For me," She started carefully, and I let out a trapped breath, "I wouldn't say it's a challenge as much as a learning experience, but getting out of my comfort zone as an artist. The stakes are so high throughout the film, there's almost this claustrophobia in two people from such different backgrounds both trapped in the same fear of connecting — of taking it too far and wanting something that they can't," She paused, considering her words, "that the world is telling them they can't have. The fact that this was, and continues to be, the reality for so many people makes me feel like there's a lot of responsibility involved in telling this story. It's such an honour for me to be able to do that and hopefully have the audience respond to that, but it's definitely not something I take lightly."

Way to go, Claire. Set the bar high.

"And for you, Rowan?"

"Well, I'm in the same boat as Claire, but obviously for me there's also... this is my first role. There's a bit of a learning curve isn't there?" I laughed awkwardly and Claire nudged me on the couch, her smile light and teasing.

The majority of the following questions went to Claire and, after the mess that was my solo interview, I was grateful to have the spotlight shifted.

"We actually have a few questions from fans for the both of you!" The interviewer announced and Claire chuckled.

"Fans? Already?" She grinned and I stuck my tongue out.

"All yours, I'm sure."

"This first one's actually for you, Rowan," The interviewer pointed out, and I felt my brows raise comically. "From at cl-four-l-four-ne on Twitter. What has been your experience working with Claire?"

"Well," I giggled, "First off, I think it's supposed to be Claire Lane but Claire snatched that username before she could so she had to get a little crafty. Second, if you're watching this, I see all of your tweets and I show them to Claire in the hair and makeup trailer so keep up the good work," I winked obnoxiously into the camera and tried in vain to contain my laughter as I watched Claire roll her eyes in my peripherals. "I'd hate to feed her big ol' celebrity ego but working with Claire has been one of the most incredible and humbling experiences of my life. As an actress and as a person, she's so generous and supportive. I mean, she's an absolute powerhouse at work, but she's never made me feel like I'm dragging her down. She lifts me up and every day I get to come here and learn from her and... I don't know," I trailed off, "She makes me better. It hardly feels like work when you get to spend all day with your best friend."

"Best friend?" Claire grinned, "So we're best friends now?"

I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest in defiance, "Freudian slip. You're second or third on the list. Second tops. I take back everything I said."

Claire turned to face the camera head-on, "She's a real romantic, guys. Total softie. Amma's really brought out that sweet Southern belle in her."

"Hey!" I cackled, "I'm a nice person! You just can't take a compliment and then you make fun of me and —"

"Rowan's a joy to work with!" Claire cut in, "Absolute gem, light of my life, never complains — are we going to reshoot this?"

"No," The interviewer laughed, "We're keeping it. Next question! Assuming you've read the book, what was your favourite scene that made it into the script?"