Chapter One

I woke up for the first time sitting in a chair, tubes filled with strangely coloured liquids leading from my wrists, neck, and temples.

"The Subject is alive and conscious!" yelled a man in a white coat, a scientist. I quietly wondered how I knew that, and looked around, taking in the scene as though I was an observer, not a participant.

A girl was sitting in an operating room, wearing a blue paper dress with wires and tubes attached to her. Men and women wearing all blue and white coats were gathered around her, eyes bright in... anticipation.

"Isn't she darling?" said one woman, reaching a gloved hand forward, as if to touch my face. She was almost there when a man slapped her hand away.

"We can't get attached to the Subject, who knows how long it will last this time. Besides, it is an it not a she. Experiments are not people, do not treat it as such," He scolded.

"Experiment?" I said slowly, again wondering where my knowledge came from.

"It can speak already!" they said excitedly, turning to each other. "I didn't think that the brain would start to work so fast!"

"Who are you?" I asked again, feeling something I couldn't name...irritation, that was it.

"We work here at this research facility! My name is-" The same woman from before started eagerly.

"THAT WILL DO. I will remind you that you are here on invitation, and if you continue to break our rules, Nurse, you will be escorted out. The Subject is still disoriented. And despite what you may think; I sincerely doubt  that its brain is finished processing" the same man from before bellowed.

He stepped forward and started to organize his tools, speaking as he worked. "Now, we shall continue working."

"While sh-I mean it is still conscious?" The woman asked outraged. The group behind her seemed to share her sentiment.

"Of course. It is just an experiment. It's not like its a person," he said, exasperated. "I doubt it can even feel pain. Look." He said, then grabbed a needle and jabbed it roughly into my arm, injecting a strange blue substance. I screamed in pain, and the scientist dropped the needle in surprise.

"It seems this one is much more human then the last. Knock it out."he said, recovering from shock as a different woman stepped forward and injected a needle into one of my tubes. Almost immediately, I fell unconscious.