Chapter Eight

"Hello, Subject D," A soft voice said as I opened my eyes, everything fuzzy. My whole body was aching, and sharps pains rain up and down my back. "You've just had surgery, how do you feel?" I whimpered in response. There was a prick of a needle in my arm, and then I slipped back under.

-----

"I can't believe that he wasn't pleased with them! Isn't bringing children back from the dead enough?" Doctor V said, outraged. "Calm yourself, Anastasia, if word of your...rebellious nature over this gets out..." Doctor C said sharply.  "The subjects should be awake by now..." Doctor C's voice changed tones, from threatening to almost loving. "Subjects? Are you awake?" Neither Subject C nor I replied, but he could have been still knocked out for all I knew.

"Strange. They must have given them too high of a dosage.." Doctor V said. "Well, we can check on them later."  The door swung open, and then closed, and then there was silence. Temporarily.

"Pssst!," Subject C whispered.

"What do you want?" I replied.

"We need to get out of here! Now!" He whispered urgently. Finally, I opened my eyes too look at him, and I noticed my surroundings. A large white room, full of machinery. There were two beds with I.V bags on stands right next to them, dripping into our hands.

"And how do you suppose we get out?" I asked him, and rolled my eyes.

"The window, we can break it and jump out. We can run faster then them, so if an alarm goes off, we'd  still be safe," He replied, leaning on one elbow, already prepped to jump up and run. I thought about it. What would they do when we left? Wouldn't they just do this to more kids? I couldn't let that happen.

"No. You go. I'll say that when I woke up, you were gone," I finally said. I wouldn't stop him, but I wouldn't go with him either.

"Are you sure, I mean-" He started, already standing by his hospital-style bed.

"Go!" I instructed him. He nodded and ran towards the window, using his I.V stand as a battering ram. The window shattered at first contact, and a loud alarm went off. He turned for one second to nod at me, and then disappeared through the window. After that, I just sat back, and waited, trying to look worried and confused at the same time. I must have been an actress in my last life, I certainly was doing a lot of it.

Not a minute later, a dozen people rushed in, holding large guns, and were soon followed by the Doctors, who rushed right up to me.

Doctor V grabbed a hank of my hair and practically jerked me out of my bed. "Where did C go, you stupid child? Tell me! Now!" she snarled at me. With each punctuation mark she pulled harder on my hair.

"Calm down! Someone restrain her!" Doctor C called out. Two tall, well-muscled men instantly appeared by her sides and grabbed her arms, twisting them behind her back and pulling her across the room. I curled into a ball on my bed, and put my hands up to my now aching head. It was all for show, and Doctor C fell for it, Hook, line and sinker. He scowled at Doctor V, and then turned to me, rearranging his features into a mask of concern.

"Are you okay?"

"M-my head hurts..." I whimpered. I focused on my real pain, the one radiating from my back, and managed to produce tears. Doctor C looked at me, this seemingly pitiful creature, and patted my hand. "Don't worry. It will never happen again, dear. Now, can you tell me, where did Subject C go?"

"I-I don't know! I woke up, and he was g-gone!" I said, my voice wobbling from my fake hiccups.

"Clearly Subject D knows nothing of C's disappearance. I'm sorry to inform you, but I"ll have to write you up for this," Doctor C said, eying Doctor V strangely. He signaled something to two of the guards, who then jumped out the window that Subject C had broken, and then walked out the door, the guards carrying Doctor V following behind.

I waited until the door had clanged closed behind them and the pulled the needle out of the back of my hand, and stood up. I padded over to a small mirror that was hanging over an industrial sink., reflecting nothing but the white walls behind it. I'd already checked out the front of myself, face and hands and legs and found no difference, but when I twisted to see my back in the mirror, I was horrified at what I saw between the gaps of the ties on my hospital gown. Who, in their right mind, would want to do this to another person?

The back section of my ribs had been removed, and it was concave on one side, my skin reinforced with strips of metal, holding the rib-less side together, connecting to the other side, a giant hunk of machinery, silver and whirring, like lungs and a heart rolled into one. A layer of clear plastic was stretched over it, and sewn into the skin on either side with a metallic thread.Trembling, I slide my arm out of the hospital gown, and looked at it. It too, had thick lines of silvery metal just under the skin, and the underside had a long dark rectangle, with several buttons protruding through my skin. I made an inhuman sound, and gagged like I was going to throw up, though I doubted I could. They'd probably removed all of my other organs too. I slipped my arm back into the sleeve properly, and stared in the mirror. I looked at the reflection of the monster they had made. Not cyborg, not human. I shook my head and walked slowly back to the bed, withdrawing to under the covers.

I didn't belong here anymore. Not anywhere. A creature that could never die, half machine, and part girl, wouldn't fit in anywhere. Not anywhere but here. And as much as I wanted to leave, I couldn't. Not now, and maybe not ever.