Chapter Five

We were taken back to our rooms after that, and just before the Doctor left, I started asking Doctor C some questions.

"Doctor, who am I?" I asked him as I sat on the bed.

"You're Subject D. Are you having memory troubles?" He looked concerned and sat down beside me.

"No. I mean.... who was I?" I tried again, screwing up my face in confusion.

"Why should that matter. This is who you are now," He answered, still looking worried for me.

"But I want to know! How much of me did you...change?" I asked again, sounding nervous.

"Just parts of your face and strength. The rest is the same," Doctor C said dismissively, getting ready to stand up.

"But that doesn't answer my question!" I yelled like an angry child. Doctor C turned around slowly and gave me a cold stare.

"You were sixteen when you got here, and I'll thank you to act like it, Subject D." He turned on his heel and walked out the door.

"Your old life is none of your business, and you will do well to remember it" he threw over his shoulder as he slammed the door closed behind him, the lock making a distinct click. I screamed in frustration and punched the wall, cracking the plaster into a spiderweb-like pattern. How was my life not my business? These people were so contradictory! I sat staring at the wall for a long time, before I sighed, and started to trace my finger over the new pattern on the wall.

I really didn't want to sleep again, but I was getting tired, despite the fact that I had had a nap earlier. I sat down on the bed, and I was about to grab one of the blankets, when I heard voices outside my door. The Doctors, and the Guard, from what I could tell of the conversation.

"How's she been doing?" Asked the She-Doctor.

"Good, there hasn't been any noise or disruptions, Doctor..." the guard answered, sounding slightly confused. No noise? The guard must have been still walking to my room when I had screamed. The low security-levels here were astounding.

"Vyazmikin. Call me Doctor V.," she said dismissively. Doctor C and Doctor V. I might know part of their names, but they still had one up on me.

"If you'll just let us inside, we have some more examining to do," Doctor C said to the guard. I quickly arranged myself so it would look like I was asleep, and closed my eyes.. The door opened and two sets of  footsteps came in, quickly followed by the door swinging shut. Immediately, they started to dissect and discuss everything.

"Interesting. The art work on the walls, The view from her window, perhaps... And a  spider-web ..." There was the scratching of a pencil on paper and a few more footsteps.

"Is she asleep?" Doctor C asked her tentatively.

"She appears to be. She does seem more delicate, despite the fact that she's stronger..." she replied, marking something else on her sheet. Again with the stronger thing. For scientists, they seemed to be quite thick when it came to logical things.

"It's strange that she's so strong, when you think about it. She had just died of cancer when she arrived here, after all," More footsteps. Dead? I was dead when I got here!?!? Was I a zombie or something? I had no time to ponder this though, because they continued to talk about my past.

"Really? I have no idea what her back-story is; I was only assigned to Subject C's," Doctor V replied, I could hear the interest to learn more. Probably to learn about the medical miracle/mystery that I seemed to be.

"Yes. Her parent's donated her body to us. They wanted to know if it was possible to bring her back to life. Said she was so sweet and kind, they thought she deserved a second chance," Doctor C scoffed.

"I hope they realize that we'll be selling her to the highest bidder. And unless they can come up with the ten million we've already been offered, it's not going to happen."She snickered, and there was a pause. "Though that does explain the lack of hair when she got here. All the radiation and chemo." Doctor V laughed sharply, and scratched on her paper again.

"And what's the boy's story? I know we had to shave his head for that surgery last week, but..." Doctor C's voice trailed off, in a way that could only be described as hopeful.

"Oh, the police had found him in a gutter in some alleyway, dying of blood loss from some bullet wounds. We patched him up though, so he won't have any scars to jog his memory. Of course, we took care of that in the last surgery, so it shouldn't be a problem. I assumed you did the same?"

"Yes. She had quite a few down her side, but we fixed them up. Her being bald was quite a blessing at the time... Though we don't know her hair colour now," Doctor C said, shifting his weight slightly.

"Which reminds me. Should we do the needle while she's still asleep?" she asked him.

"No, let's wake her up. The needle probably would anyways, if the amount of fuss that Subject C made is any indication," he replied then reached over and shook my shoulder. "Subject D, it's time to wake up. Subject D?"

I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, slowly, then sat up.

"We're here to give you a needle," Doctor C smiled at me, and slid my sleeve back to my shoulder, opened a small packet and rubbed it over my arm. Doctor V produced a long needle full of a clear liquid. she pushed it into my arm roughly, and then watched my face rather eagerly. My eyes widened in pain, but I said nothing. They  smiled eagerly at each other and wrote something else on the sheet of paper hidden by a clipboard.

"What was that for?" I asked, pretending I hadn't heard their little commentary.

"To make your hair grow  faster. We have someone coming in to see you in a few days, and we want you to look presentable," Doctor V smiled at me in a way that made me want to shiver.

"But why would someone want to see me?" I asked. I'd already heard what they'd said. I was being sold. But why?

"Because you're special!"" Doctor C smiled at me. "Dinner will be in an hour. We're having some clothes sent up for you. Those ones have gotten rather dirty, don't you think?" I looked down, and only saw the pure white of the pajamas. I had no idea what he was talking about, but I nodded anyway.

They walked out the door smiling at each other significantly, pointing to things they had written on the paper, and I sighed. It was like I was a doll to them. They could just leave me in one place, and they knew I would still be there when they came back. I wasn't a person to them. Clearly, they didn't even think I was even really alive. I was here for their purposes, and they're purposes only. And I was quite sure I didn't like that.