Chapter Seven

Sorry for the wait. I know; I'm a terrible person. Hope you like it; let me know

xo Gemini

I woke up the next morning with a full head of hair that reached down to my waist. It was pale; almost white. I ran my hands through it and smiled. I'd regained another piece of me, even if it was only a small one.

When I stood up, I noticed there was another pile of clothing, stacked neatly in the middle of the floor. Two black Mary-Jane style shoes sat side by side next to the door. Today there was only one option; an extremely poofy, extremely old fashioned black dress. It was long-sleeved, with lace at the cuffs and high-cut collar.

 I sighed, and for a moment, contemplated just wearing my white pajamas for the rest of the day. Somehow, I didn't think Doctors C and V would go for that.

I stepped into the dress, and reached for the zipper, only to realize that the dress buttoned up instead.It really was old fashioned. I sighed and started to button up the dress, twisting my head so I could see what I was doing. I couldn't help but wonder if this wasn't just another test.

 I had managed to get all of the buttons, save the two in the middle, and I had already slipped the slightly too big shoes on my feet. When a nurse arrived to escort me out of my room.

"No breakfast today. You have a visitor," She smiled before wrapping fabric around my eyes- black this time, to match my dress, I supposed. Once we'd arrived, I found myself in a small room, full of vials and small boxes of makeup.  Dozens of mirrors sat on the walls, reflecting me. I finally got a good look at myself. My escapes with the elevator had given me a faint idea of what I looked like, but now I knew for sure. A small girl, with dark, almost black eyes, and a rose-bud red mouth. Tiny features and huge eyes, delicate cheek bones.I looked about sixteen or seventeen, But younger when I widened my eyes; which I did when I realized there was another woman in the room.

"Oh my goodness! She's a living doll!" She proclaimed, smiling at me. She bustled over with her makeup selection and started to apply things to my face.

"Your skin is so flawless! So pale!" She enthused, applying mascara to my eyelashes. She didn't do much else, except add eyeliner, a bit of  eyeshadow, and pale lipstick.

"Now for your hair," she smiled again, calling in another woman from the hall. The two ran around the tiny show-box of a room and started playing with my hair. They cut bangs straight across my forehead, and tucked a red-rose- the color of my lipstick- behind my ear, and proclaimed me done. They were happy about their mini make-over, though honestly, there wasn't really that much difference. Though now that I knew my own face wasn't my own, I wasn't sure if there wasn't a difference because my face had already been made perfect, or if they're makeup was just that good. How much of my original face would they have had to change? I sat there, still and disgusted as the two woman continued to gossip about the other staff members. One noticed my undone buttons, and idly did them up while continuing to talk.

Soon though, a guard walks in an informs us that it's time for me to meet my 'special quest'. Instead of blindfolding me again-"Oh no! Her makeup might be ruined!"- They made me close my eyes instead. I slit my eyes open a bit, and tried to remember the way we were walking. Knowing the layout of this place couldn't hurt. Especially if the plan I was forming came into action.

The room I was now in was painted  lavender, and was utterly blank of any decoration. There was a stark white backdrop on one side, with a stool, and a solid steel door on the other. They sat me on the black metal stool, and told me to look at the camera, I was instructed not to smile under any circumstances. After a shot face on, they took one in profile on each side, like I was a criminal in jail. The second the shutter clicked the third time, Subject C walked in. He took my place on the stool, and I stood back against the door, feeling cold metal on my skin. After Subject C was done, they led us both outside.

Outside was a shock to me. All I've known was the stark lights of the solar-powered bulbs  used in the research facility, and stark white paint. I wasn't prepared for the sudden blasts of colour. The red-brick and yellow dying grass. The petrified trees in the distance, the blue sky,

After letting us gape for a while, the camera man came and arranged us in front of a portion of the wall that was grey instead of red. THey fussed for an overly-long period of time, dusting us with white powder and fluffing garments before they took the shots.

After that, we were taken back inside to wait for our guest. A tall man in a black suit with a silver chain around his wrist. He took a look at me, and a look at Subject C, before talking to Doctor's C and V.

"They certainly are pretty little children. Better then cyborgs, you promised?" The man said. Clearly this was not a question.

"Yes, Yes they are. Stronger and Smarter too. Able to do tasks that the ordinary human adult cannot," Doctor V said proudly, sticking her beak of a nose into the air.

"And these tasks are?"

"They will never age. They can survive extreme heat and cold, and go almost an hour without breathing," Doctor C chimed in. Either he was lying, or those were the ways that the other two Subjects had been tested. Most likely tested to the death. I shuddered, but stood l in my spot, not daring to move.

They continued on to talk price. The man had apparently dropped his price of ten million down to five, and Doctor C wasn't happy.  After a while I zoned out. In fact, I didn't even notice they'd left to go talk in another room, leaving us to stand.

I did, however notice one thing. One flaw in the perfect day the had planned us.

They'd taken us outside. And now I knew.

Long ago, I had stopped wanting to be here. In fact, I don't think I ever did; ever since I woke up for that first time during my surgery to bring me to life. I'd simply tolerated being here.

But I wouldn't tolerate it any longer.