Chapter Three

A huge hulking figure dressed in black stood in front of me. I couldn't see his face-I was only chest-level- but I could almost feel the anger coming off of him. In a snap decision, I decided to play the stupid girl everyone expected me to be.

"I was looking at myself on those doors. Aren't I pretty?" I giggled, smiling up at the guard. "Too bad I don't have any hair, huh?"

"Are you Subject D?" he asked. I could tell that he was angry, but he was starting to let down as his guard, after all, I was just another stupid girl, right?

"Yup! Or at least, that's what everybody's calling me. I'm not too sure if it's my name or not, if you know what I mean," I gushed, and then giggled again.

"Well, Subject D, I'll take you back to your room now. Tell me this, how did you get out?" He smiled down at me, totally sure in my stupidity now.

"Oh, that's easy! Nurse didn't close the door all the way, so I peeked my head out, and saw these shiny doors, so I thought that I would come and see what they were!" I grinned at him, showing a dimple. the guard  frowned slightly, then lead me back to me room.

"Your Nurse, what does she look like?" he asked as he opened the door.

"She has black hair, and she's really pretty. She won't get in trouble, will she?" I asked him, widening my eyes.

"Well, she's been rather bad, so we'll have to bring it up with you Doctor," he smiled once more, then pushed me lightly into the room and locked the door.

I sat down on the bed, and threw the pillow on the floor with a scream. How could I have let myself get caught? I really was stupid! I screamed again and then curled up in a ball on the bed and fell asleep, my toast forgotten.

                                                                         ***********

When I woke up from my nap, the toast crumbs had been cleared from the floor, and the pillow was back at the head of the bed. In the middle of the floor there was a glass of juice and a sandwich on a plate, accompanied by a folded piece of paper. A note. Probably another test of my intelligence.

I ignored the note at first, eating my sandwich and juice first, in case they had a camera watching me. I mentally chided myself; Stupid! How could I not have thought of that earlier? If they had seen my temper tantrum.....

I carefully unfolded the note and smoothed out the creases with my fingernail, taking my time. Finally I started to read it.

Dear Subject D,

I hope you enjoy your lunch, We would have asked you to join us at the mes hall, but it seem that you were asleep! Anyway, later today you'll be taken to an examination room, we want to see how you are coping!

Signed, Doctor

I frowned and continued staring at the note for a moment. Examination room? A whirlwind of thought went through my mind, Examining what? Did they think I was going to simply die? Was that what had happened to the sleeping boy? Maybe instead of being asleep he was actually dead?

I folded the note back up and placed it in the empty juice glass, which I stacked on top of the plate. Bored, I started to draw on the walls using my fingernail. I had just started to draw what I could see from my window when the door opened. Instead of the Nurse from before, it was Doctor C.

"Subject D! What are you doing?" he exclaimed, inspecting my work.

"Drawing... I was bored," I answered. "Why? Was I not supposed to do that?"

"No, no, no, drawing is fine. We didn't think you would show any creative tendencies, that's all," he smiled. I didn't know what was worse; being treated like a small, stupid child, or being treated like I wasn't even a person.

"Well, it's examination time." He pulled out the blindfold and started to wrap it around my eyes. I was getting tired of this piece of blue fabric. The amount of guards they have here, they couldn't  honestly believe that I would try to break out of here. Doctor C put his hands on my shoulders and started to steer me out the door and down the hall.

I got a feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that this wasn't going to be fun.