What does it mean to be a Brother?

What does it mean to be a brother?

Kousuke Hirahara never knew the answer for that question he often asks himself since recently. There was something not fitting in that question. Something he doesn't understand. Something that annoys him and bothers him at the same time. He was the one to take Yeong-gi to school since his father insisted after the redhead decided to move out and live with his Nana when he turned 16. The blue-eyed Hirahara just did whatever asked of him without giving much thought to it. Just like always today he's taking his brother to school and just had to make a stop at a restaurant to take breakfast. He knew the redhead doesn't really like his company. But he doesn't complain either. They have this silent agreement where they would just follow their father's orders without much fuss, even though they both hate being alone with each other. It's easier that way for both of them.

Kousuke pulled his red Ferrari over to the parking lot of Outdoor Cafe and took a quick glance at the green-eyed teen sitting next to him. He stepped out. "There's still time for school and I have some homework to do. It'd take time so you can go ahead I'll just take the bus" The redhead said with a blank face and headed toward the cafe pulling his backpack over his shoulder. Kousuke watched him disappear through the entrance and slumped back in the driving seat.

Brother... huh...

Kousuke was only 6 years old when a new member added to his family. When his father announced that he'll get a little brother, he wasn't expecting someone who's only a couple of years younger than himself. Everything changed after his arrival. It annoyed him. His somewhat peaceful life started to get heavier and smaller. His normally cheerful mother often got mad at the smallest of things and shouted at the maids. The way his mother looked at his "brother" was somewhat different. He had no idea about it at first. After some time he learned who this new kid was. He was irritated. He was mad. His view of the family, his father, his mother all changed after that. The little Kousuke had nothing else to do than taking his frustration out of the innocent redhead.

Kousuke winced at the thought and stepped out of the Ferrari. He pulled out his phone and started going through different apps. A habit he comes to practice through the years in hope of escaping the prying eyes of people. He hates public places. It made him uncomfortable. All of them are just looking at him differently just because he's rich and successful.

Thinking back to the first time they met, it irritated him because, despite all the gossip and hardships he faced, this new redhead was able to smile so brightly like he owns the whole world. It irritated him that this kid was trying so hard to be a part of his family calling him his "brother". It irritated him that this whole thing goes against what he had in his mind as having a brother. The little Kousuke refused to accept that fact, even so, Yeong-gi is still his brother by blood.

Sometimes later, Yeong-gi gave up. That was the thing made Kousuke irritated the most.

The void between them started to grow since then. The two of them learned not to get involved in each other's business and just follow their father's wishes separately. While they grew up, they grew apart. Kousuke got busy with the work from the company and Yeong-gi just minded his own business. Through the years, it became something like a silent agreement not to interfere with each other's lives.

But something kept bothering Kousuke. Something didn't quite feel right about this. He watched his brother grew up. He himself grew up. He sometimes regrets the things he's done before. But how can he change all this? It's already too late. There's no point in doing something just to get failed. That's what his rational mind said. Most of all that there's to do anyway? He often asks himself whenever he's confused about the redhead. Why? Why after all this time? Why do you feel sorry for him and yourself too? Why do you care now?