F O U R ; Sunflowers

F O U R ;

Sunflowers

The school day has finally rolled to an end and before I know it the last bell rings. I smile as Mr Phillips dismisses us and we all get up from our spots.  I grab my things from my desk taking them to my basket in the cloak room and placing them inside. I grab my coat from off the hanger and throw it around my shoulders. I then grab my beret of the hanger and place it carefully on my head.

Seeing as everyone's leaving quickly I say my goodbyes before grabbing my basket off the bench. I was about to leave but I see a certain red head in the corner of my eye. I turn into the main classroom and walk up to her as she packs her things up from her desk.

Anne turns to me as she hears me approaching and gives me a small smile. "So how was your first day at school?" I ask leaving on the desk she was standing at. She hesitates before she answers. "It was something alright." She says picking up her slate and books from the table. I give her a sad smile before placing a hand on her shoulder.

"If Josie gives you any trouble you're always welcome to come sit with me and the boys. You'd be surprised how nice they are when you actually get to know them and plus there's way less drama." I say stating the truth. Anne let's out a laugh before giving me a nod. "I'll keep that in mind." She says starting to walk towards the door with me.

"Well I have to go meet Avellino at the little kids classroom so that we can walk back home. See you tomorrow?" I ask turning to her. "Tomorrow it is." She replies with an enthusiastic smile. I give her a quick hug before starting to walk off. "See you tomorrow and enjoy the book!" I call back to her as I make my way out of the my classroom and to the smaller one beside it.

Aven sees me and runs up to me with a smile. "How was your day?" I as we start to walk on the dirt path back home. "Good." He says with a skip in his step. "We were doing long division today in math and I actually understood the sums sir had given us!" Aven replies a huge grin spread across his face. "I'm proud of you Aven. The study at home has really improved your work." I say returning his smile.

For the rest of the walk home Aven kept telling me- in extreme detail- about his math and English lessons today. Skipping circles around me in excitement at times. Finally we make it back to the path leading up to our house and Avellino breaks out into a run. "Gilbert!" He yells in excitement seeing the teenage boy waiting for us at the start of the path.

The two boys embrace in a hug a laugh escaping from Gilbert's lips at Aven's excitement. They split apart and Gilbert bends down to Aven's height. "How's the little genius been?" He ask looking towards my brother with a smile. "Good." Avellino replies eagerly. Gilbert ruffles his hair before standing up to greet me. I wrap my arms around his neck tightly pulling him into a hug which he returns.

"Wow I was only gone for a week." He muffles into my hair as we hug.  I pull away from the hug to see a smile spread across him face. "And? Is it a crime to miss your best friend?" I say with a shrug. "I suppose not." He says with a smirk. We start to walk up to the house Aven a few steps in front of us leading the way.