01. 'Unexpected

Charlotte James         June 1987              

  I smoothed out my dress as me, my mom, and my sister Kamryn walked into the new church we would be attending. My mother was a firm believer in Christ, she often visited many churches in North Carolina. I had lived here in Charlotte all my life, though I was rarely seen because I was always in my home.

My mom didn't allow me to go anywhere in public unless it was Church or the Public Library. I go to school at an all Girl's school which is located in the suburbs of Charlotte. I didn't know what it felt like to have freedom because my mom kept me sheltered. She feared that I would slip up and have kids at a young age like her. Our father wasn't in our life, he left my mom after she had Kamryn. I often wondered where did he go... If he had a new family.

I always wanted to know what it felt like to go to school with girls and boys, but sadly I knew that dream was never going to happen. Neither me or my sister had the opportunity to do what other teens did.

I nervously looked at my feet, feeling eyes on me as we walked to find a seat. I was extremely bashful when I was around people. "Pick your head up Charlotte, you know better." My mother gritted.

I quickly picked my head up so that she wouldn't punish me later. Taking a seat on the empty row in the front of the church I held my head up. This was my first time in a Pentecostal Church, I didn't want to embarrass my mother. My eyes wondered around the tiny church, it was filled with black people something that I had expected.

"Good morning!" A guy who held a tall stature said with a grin on his face. His skin was very melanin. He wore a nice suit giving me the impression that he indeed was the pastor.

"Good morning." The congregation said making the guy chuckle and shake his head. "I said good morning y'all! Ain't God good?" He said getting a whole bunch of praises.

He walked to his stand and began to talk into the microphone. "I see we have a few newcomers so I'm going to introduce myself. I'm reverend Donald DeGrate." He said making direct eye contact with myself, kamryn, and my mother. I shyly looked away feeling eyes on me. I sure hope nobody noticed the marks on my face.

"So many faces today, The spirit is in the building. Now, our topic for today is criticism——." He said Before I stopped paying attention to anything he was saying.

It wasn't that I didn't like going to church, I just had a hard time with paying attention. My eyes mindlessly wondered around until I saw a boy on the piano... I'm guessing he played the Piano during services. I eyed him taking in his features. He wore a low cut, glasses were on his eyes but I could see the hazel in his eyes, and he also had a well structured jaw line. He was very handsome.  I'm assuming he felt my eyes on him because he looked up at me and raised one of his arched eyebrows. I quickly looked away in embarrassment. I decided to just keep my eyes on the pastor during the service to save myself from embarrassment.

{After Service}

"Service was very lovely." My mother, Angel, said to Reverend Donald. Service was indeed great , but I couldn't seem to keep my eyes off of the mysterious boy who played the piano. "I'm glad you enjoyed ma'am, you'll should come back Wednesday for our bible study. Your kids can join the youth, the other kids here are very welcoming." He said with a smile and my mom smiled.

"I'd like that very much. Girls this might be our new church. Reverend these are my girls Kamryn and Charlotte."

Looking over at us, I wanted to put my head down at his piercing gaze. It felt like he was looking straight through me. "Nice to meet you young ladies, how old are you?" I shyly waved as Kamryn spoke up. I wasn't much of a talker, but Kamryn could talk for days.