02. Suddenly

Charlotte.

"Wake up Charlotte, we have a meeting to attend today." Angel spoke sternly awaking Charlotte from her dream. Charlotte arose from her bed saddened that she had been woken and had to face reality. Suicidal thoughts often ran through her head , but she didn't want to burn in fire for eternity. She had hope that God would send a blessing into her life. She had faith.

The meeting she was preparing for was to see if she had another year of gracing the All Girl's school she attended. The women there only selected the top notch girls with outstanding grades. Charlotte had the grades, but the looks not so much. The girls at her school envied her because of her melanin skin and her long tresses. Most of the Caucasian girls picked at her because of that, they thought it was irregular for a black girl to have such things. At first Charlotte loved the school, but after a few days she hated it. She didn't have not one friend, her own sister couldn't stand to be around her.

"Mother, I don't have any nice clothes." She spoke softly and bit her lip feeling her mother's gaze on her. If it was one thing Charlotte didn't like, it was most definitely the way Angel looked at her. Angel would look at her with a look of disgust. Charlotte always thought it was because she looked so much like her father. "You need to hurry up Charlotte. Go borrow some of your sisters clothes. We're on a tight schedule, you got thirty minutes." Angel spat rudely and walked out of Charlotte's room slamming the door.

Charlotte sighed in frustration, something had to give.

Stepping across the hall into the bathroom, she wanted to cry at the sight of her face. Running her fingers on her soft cheeks she sighed. Charlotte had been dealing with lupus since she was about ten. Every now and then rashes would pop up and she had no control over them. Not only that, but at times she would pass out due to the lupus. It was a hereditary disease from her fathers side. Atleast that's what her grandmother told her.

After cleaning her face and putting her ointment on her face she walked to Kamryn's room. Opening the door, she instantly pinched her nose at the loud smell of marijuana. Kamryn was the complete opposite of Charlotte. She snuck out, had sex, and everybody at their school loved her. Kamryn jumped up but relaxed once she saw that it was just her nosy older sister.

"Dammit Charlotte, close the door." She said fiercely and Charlotte nodded afraid to say anything. Her sister could be the devil at times and she really didn't want to test her at the moment.

"Um.. mom t-t-old me to borrow one of your outfits." Charlotte stammered as her sister watched her with low eyes. She honestly was aggravated that Charlotte was interrupting her high.

"Bitch. Stop acting so damn scary, go in the closet and grab an outfit damn. Dumb ass." She said and took a drag from her blunt rolling her eyes.

Charlotte nodded and quickly went to her closet grabbing something nice and quickly left her room before Kamryn got up to put her hands on her. Kamryn would often touch her sister in ways Charlotte couldn't stand. No matter how many times she tried to fight back.... she never won.

—————

Sitting in the car, Charlotte nervously picked at the skirt she wore. Her nerves were eating her up she didn't want to make her mom embarrassed today, but she had so many thoughts running through her dome. Kamryn was out at the hair salon getting her hair styled for school. Both girls weren't allowed to get perms , but they often would get silk presses. Charlotte adore wearing just her natural tresses while Kamryn didn't.

"Now Charlotte, I know I came off a little rude yesterday and I apologize. But how about we make a deal, if you can go in here and not embarrass me I'll take you out and buy you nice school clothes. Deal?" Angel asked while concentrating on the busy road. Charlotte's eyes widened at her mother's words, but she didn't believe it. Her mom was very tricky and could tell a lie in a quick minute.