Chapter Six

Unable to find calm in the midst of the situation, I froze.

My eyes could only resort to staring at my Pearl's inactive gem, loneliness falling upon me instantly. Frantically, I searched around for signs of other gem life, yet all I came across with were the remains of Moon Base.

I was alone.

I was panicking.

Trying my best to take in a breath, I closed my eyes and attempted to focus on what I would do next. As I meditated to seek calm, I realized how much had my Pearl's presence kept me sane during all those years spent bubbled. If it were not for her, I was certain to have succumbed to the loneliness with time – I was more than certain I would have not carried the same strength I held now, if she hadn't been here by my side.

Determined on finding a solution to my friend's cracked gem, I reached out with a trembling hand for her gemstone, making sure to cradle it safely in my hands as I stood up, making my way to the exit of the Moon Base without a location in mind, but with a plan held firmly within my grasp.

As I heard the doors close behind me, I looked around, spotting Earth a great distance away from where I was standing.

I began to think over a way I could reach that place, and I followed those thoughts by pondering my reason for getting there.

Would I be able to find a solution for my Pearl there?

Though that thought was far fetched, I still kept it in my mind, knowing that the Moon Base – aside from the data stored by gems – did not have much else to look over neither much else that could aid us in our journey – that could aid us on our search for freedom.

I searched for what seemed to be hours, until I finally came across a deserted ship, seemingly having been left abandoned by the previous groups of gem warriors with the alarm Homeworld had sent.

Cautiously, I stepped foot into the ship, my eyes scanning for any sign of life or movements.

There was nobody near my line of sight, allowing me to let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding until now.

Finding a tinge of hope in between all these unfortunate happenings, I gripped my Pearl's gem more firmly, not wanting to let her fall from my grasp. Afterwards, I approached the controls of the ship, the realization that I was never taught how to pilot a vehicle crashing down on me like an immense wave of disappointment. My eyes tried to make sense of the controls, yet I understood it was hopeless – it was impossible for me to pilot it without proper guidance.

Desperation took over as I found myself trapped in a dead end – I'd now reached a corner with no other route of escape. I was trapped once again – the difference being I wasn't in my bubble any longer.

Any possible plans I could possibly come up with were shattered by the sound of footsteps echoing through the area, alerting me of possible danger – alerting me of my possibility of being discovered.

I searched around for a place where I could be able to hide in, a task much more complicated than it would seem due to my towering figure.

It wasn't until the noise continued to increase in volume that I tried to squeeze myself behind a wall that divided the control panels from the rest of the ship.

Heaving out a breath before holding my next one, I pressed my body against the wall, gulping down the nervous sensation rising up my throat as I watched what seemed to be a Jasper stand in front of the controls, getting her hair out of the way with a ponytail before she began piloting the ship.

I watched intently the way she handled the controls, wanting more than anything to learn how to work them myself in case another situation like this popped up again – not that I wanted that to happen, of course.

Her hands maneuvered the ship in a professional manner, her expression stern as she focused her gaze on her target.

To my surprise, she was headed to Earth.

I held my excitement back as I thought over the possibility of finding aid – of regaining my concentration and ability to heal my friend – once I arrived on Earth.

I found myself holding her inactive gemstone more tightly, as if wanting to assure her that everything would be alright.

Controlling my breathing so as to not be found out by the piloting Jasper, I closed my eyes, imaging what would be in store for me – what would be in store for us – the moment I stepped foot out of this ship.