Chapter Eleven

Arriving at their home, the first thing to catch my eye as well as of my Pearl's was the giant statue of a woman – presumably a Gem – with various arms, the age of the sculpture showing through the few crumbles of stone laying about.

"This is your home?" I asked, awe briefly escaping my voice as I took in their large home.

My Pearl came up beside me to stare in wonder at what we were currently seeing – everything looked spacious. It was a large contrast from where we once used to be.

My eyes glanced over at the other trinkets in the area – A few plants were placed near the entrance door of their home. I then caught sight of a body of water – this one a beach, as they called it – next to the home.

"Yeah!" The boy replied, looking at me with his usual, encouraging smile. "We all live here together."

"Why not join us until you decided what you will do?" The pale Pearl spoke, her eyes mostly focusing on my Pearl's, her excitement over having another Gem like her seemingly still present over her actions, though she still seemed wary enough not to tell us much about who she was.

"Yeah." The Amethyst agreed, approaching the Pearl as I stared at them both. "It's gonna be dark soon, so why not stay here until you figure out what you're gonna do?"

Taken aback by their offers, I was unable to recover when having Steven invite me into their home, as well. Yet, there still remained one Gem who hadn't spoken a word since my arrival on Earth.

It was the fusion.

"Would it truly be alright with you all?" I asked, directing my words at her more than anyone else. "I would not want to impose on you."

The fusion remained quiet for another minute, her arms loosening away from her chest as she took a step forward, looking at me – or so I assumed, as her visor kept me away from seeing her eyes. She was regarding me with a guarded stare, though I figured that was due to her being the leader of the other gems.

Even so, I wondered what she was going to say to me – I wondered what she thought of me.

"How could you not know about what happened in Homeworld?" Garnet looked from me to my companion, who stared at her whilst my gaze expressed confusion. She kept her arms crossed over her chest once more and Steven started to speak up, yet she added something else before he could say anything in my defense. "I hope you're telling us the truth about your intentions."

She took a step forward, the action seemingly alarming my Pearl by the way she reached out for her gemstone – as if waiting from danger to arise that would require her to use her weapons.

"I will not tolerate another Gem crossing a line." She warned, her gritted teeth showing she was angry — despite her visor covering most of the expression on her face. "One slip up, and you'll have to deal with me."

With that, she retreated, walking over back to the Pearl and the Amethyst, while Steven could only look at me and later back at her with an uneasy frown painted clear on his face.

"Garnet?" I called out, not wanting for our encounter to end on a sour note.

My voice seemed to discomfort her, her shoulders tensing before turning around to face with me.

Once I was certain I had gained her attention, I gathered up the courage to ask the sole question bouncing around my mind regarding her origins.

"Are you. . . the fusion other Gems on Homeworld seemed so afraid of?"

Seeing her frown, I proceeded to formulate another question before she had the chance to confront me again.

"I am not asking to make fun of you." I clarified, smiling. "I am simply curious to know more about you."

White often told me about fusion being an ultimate taboo in Homeworld, not something that should be spoken of whatsoever — Yet, now that I was free from her grasp, I decided to learn more by myself and gain my own view regarding fusion.

Still, shifting my eyes back over to Garnet, there seemed to be something that radiated from her despite the uneasiness that I provided. Like being centered – No, that not the word I wanted to use, but I could feel it on the tip of my tongue. . .

Complete.

Yes — She seemed complete as a fusion.

That sounded right to me, though I wanted to work my wording so I could ask the question directly.

I knew everyone had their doubts about me – I was a Diamond that was purely folklore, and there all kinds of theories, too. None, however, were true about me.

The only proper phrase I could use to accurately describe myself was "a Gem that was once sheltered by White Diamond". Her sheltering me led me to only know about the way she taught me – That's all I've known, really. During my years bubbled at the Moon Base, I never managed to form my own purpose.

Now, it was a different story – I now wanted to learn more about the world, rather than just settle with White Diamond's stories.

"Well, what's it like being a fusion, in your own words. . ." I stared back at her – my voice was genuine, in hopes that I could gain some of her trust.

She glanced at my Pearl, who heard my thoughts, though she voiced her concern in her own. A smile of reassurance was one that I wanted to direct at her to keep her at ease.

"I was kept in a room by White Diamond. . ." I paused for a moment, now gathering everyone's attention and seeing the similar expressions on their faces. Though I understood I needed to give them a more thorough explanation, I knew surprise and shock when their expressions revealed themselves to me. "She told me that I would be better staying there due to some circumstances. . . As a result, I was always looking at how every other Gems lived, instead of living my own."

Black Pearl came beside me to hold my hand. The next part was disheartening, though I still had to say it, no matter how much it hurt me. "I was a shade often looked down upon – a colour that symbolizes something negative – one that doesn't get positive outlook. So, according to White Diamond, I was spared from rejection by being hidden away. . ."

I finished speaking, though – as I recalled my Pearl's crack – something burned in me to learn what truly happened – or at the very least, know who'd done it.

"My Diamond. . ." She uttered softly.

I've never told her what I truly felt, though that was something that was uncomfortable for me to talk about with her. Even so, I knew this topic was something she could understand – about how we were assumed to be corrupted due to the color our gems had.