Chapter Twelve

Garnet remained in silence for a minute, until I saw her approach me.

"Alright. . ." She spoke, her stern voice almost a whisper as she crossed her arms over her chest, looking up at me. She seemed to be lost on her thoughts. "You don't have to keep talking if you're not ready – I can answer your questions, if that'll be better for you."

The Gems standing behind her smiled at her sudden change of demeanor, Steven being the happiest of the bunch. The pale Pearl and the Amethyst looked at each other, as if waiting to see what the fusion would say to me.

"What was it you wanted to ask about fusion?" She inquired, allowing me some time to think and form my questions.

I took in a breath before speaking up.

"I was simply wondering how it feels. . . Is it perhaps worrying? Or do you trust both Gems will succeed in fusing?"

"As long as both Gems agree to it, fusion almost always results well." She answered. "It's not worrying at all – You fuse with them because you trust them – because you believe in them and in their abilities to accomplish something." A hint of a smile appeared to cross her features as she continued on speaking. "We have been together for thousands of years and rarely ever separate – all because we trust in each other."

"So, you are happy with who you are?"

Garnet nodded at my question, not a trace of hesitation crossing her actions.

"I am." She spoke, her smile now showing clearly on her lips as she uncrossed her arms, her posture slowly relaxing and adjusting itself more the further we talked.

I did wondered about what kind of Gems were fused together, but maybe that would be something I needed to earn her trust on later.

When I thought about what she told me, I felt it would better to save that question for later – It would be nice to meet the two gems that created this fusion, maybe later in the future, yet I was hoping that by then, I could tell them a bit more about myself.

After those final words were spoken, the rest of the Gems decided to head on over to Steven's home – not before inviting us to come, the expressions on their faces showing hope over having the fusion agree to me and my Pearl staying until we found a place of our own.

While the three walked up the stairs, Garnet soon followed, stopping only once to turn to me – a small grin plastered on her face.

"C'mon." She spoke, gesturing for me to follow her. "Let's go – It's getting dark already."

Nodding to her invitation, I couldn't help masking the joy visible on my face, the achievement of gaining at least a small fraction of her trust causing me to smile.

With an equally warm smile, I looked at my Pearl, offering a hand out for her to take as we both followed the fusion and the rest of the Crystal Gems to their home.