Chapter Sixteen

Inside I couldn't help to 'freak out', as Steven put it, when I embarrassed myself into thinking I became a cannibal with the doughnut incident and watched my Pearl grab his hand after I did so.

Something made me feel nervous when it came to meeting the Peridot, though it was ridiculous to feel this way. With White Diamond's reasons for keeping me hidden, however, I couldn't help it.

As the three of us walked over to the other Gems, there was something I wanted to ask Steven about Peridot.

Since we were not close to the others, though I thought they'd talked about my presence on Earth to the smaller Gem present, he insisted it would be better for me to stay a 'surprise' for when we arrived there, and assure us the Gem was excited to meet us.

Do you think this is a good idea, Pearl?

I wanted to know what was my trusted friend's opinion, who glanced at him, knowing that the small boy between us was not paying attention.

At this moment, I was grateful to view the insight of another person – as My Pearl could always speak freely with me. At other times, we had to limit ourselves in the presence of White Diamond, though it was fortunate for us she was not around here on Earth.

She spoke confidently while staring at me with a smile slowly coming to her lips.

I think we've been good so far – They have not scorned us yet, so I think meeting Peridot will go smoothly.

It made me feel at ease, though from the Peridot's enthusiasm about Diamonds, I felt underlying apprehension in my mind, in which I hoped that my existence would still remain a secret.

My Pearl and I had no clue how Homeworld would react to me knowing what was kept hidden.

Steven started to tell us the story about how the green Gem came to Earth. He spoke a name that was familiar on Homeworld – Rose Quartz. All the Gems present on our planet gave her many names, some even feared to speak it aloud – though the Diamonds were greatly disturbed by this lone warrior who threatened the stability of everyone.

For me, what I felt about her well I was not sure of, since I was never there to meet the rebel leader myself, but from what I could see, she seemed to be a free thinking spirit – not caring about what others thought about her nor of the things they said behind her back.

From what I could deduct based on what Steven told me, she was a brave warrior who cared deeply for all living beings – no matter how small.

Shall we go meet her, My Diamond?

My Pearl's voice broke me away from those thoughts. I soon looked down to face her, nodding with a smile.

Let us go, friend.

We both followed Steven to where the Peridot stood waiting at, gulping away the tension forming in my throat as I searched for reassurance by holding my Pearl's small hand, 'what ifs' once again piling up endlessly in my mind regarding how would the green Gem react to us.

I took a step forward, my pose holding uncertainty as I captured her attention by calling out her name.

Almost immediately, she snapped her gaze towards me and my Pearl, her eyes wide with surprise as she dropped a communicator she once held tightly in her hand.

"What in the Clod?!" A voice shrieked out in surprise, startling the three of us as well as the other Gems with her turning in our direction.

The words that came after were not a surprise to me, though I was not expecting for her to jump and run over us, being careful so as to not stumble on her feet.