Siblings

This tip mainly applies to fanfics, making the main OC siblings to the main protagonist.

Now, if done right, this could be a really interesting storyline, but I see it done wrong many... many times.

I'm just going to go over different fandoms that I see this happen many times, so this might end up being a long chapter.

OHSHC:
Now, this most stories I read with siblings are Hitachiin triplet stories, and some of them are good, like really good. But some... some are just terrible. Though I normally find one thing in common with each triplet story. The triplet is usually hated by the twins, for whatever reason. While I do love myself some good character suffering, it gets bland after a while. Another thing I see a lot is the twin moved away with the father after the two of them divorce, only to move back for high school.

Now, a way to fix the triplet hatred thing is to maybe have the main character hate the twins instead of the other way around, it would still include hatred and character torturing, but it would be switched up a little bit, make your story stand out, which it what you want when writing a fanfic, or story in general.

With the divorce, I'd say to just try to avoid that storyline, maybe have the main character be switched at birth, or maybe kidnapped. They'll still be separated at a young age, but it's possible for them to return at high school or to the family.

For a sibling of the other hosts, I haven't read/ seen a lot of those. I know Haruhi is a popular choice to make a sibling, because commoners are fun to write! Woo!

Anyways, my main advice is to avoid the moved away with divorced family member (either father or mother) and try to either incorporate the character being in there their whole life, or make it a cousin or something that would make reason for them not to of been living with the host other than divorce.

BnHA:
So many people have their character be the sibling of Deku, which I don't have a problem with, it's just mainly what they do with the the quirk.

I see so many people make the quirk not related to the parents at all, or they inherit One For All along with Deku, which couldn't actually happen.

And pretty much, my fix to this would be to give the character a quirk from their parents.

Examples: (Feel free to use any of these!)
Fire-breath (Like their Father)
Floating small objects (Like Inko)
Fire Generation/ Manipulation (A mix of the parent's quirks)
Green Fire (Variation of Father's quirk)
Dragging and Pulling objects (Variation of Inko's quirk)
Fireballs (slight variation of father's quirk)
Telekinesis (Stronger variation of Inko's quirk)

And those are just a few, you could do really cool things with mixing the two's quirks. Plus, if you go the fire route, you can easily ship the OC with Bakugo or Todoroki because fire.

Feel free to add your own thoughts to this, these are really the main things I see when reading fanfics.