Chapter twenty

After giving Jimin a thumbs up, Jungkook followed V into his room and put his pillow on the bed. He looked around the messy room, wondering how long had it been since Taehyung cleaned it.

Taehyung ignored the younger completely, took some clothes from his almost empty wardrobe and walked into the bathroom. A couple minutes later, he heard the sounds of water hitting the floor, indicating that the older was having a shower.

Jungkook looked around the messy room. Clothes and shoes were all over the floor, there were crumpled papers near the bed and the table with some notes and scribbles on them. His camera was on the table like it hadn't been touched in months.

Jungkook walked closer to the bed side table and opened the drawer. There it was, the sleeping pills.

He read the label.

Intermediate benzodiazepines.

For insomnia. Not anxiety.

He put them back and lied down on the bed, waiting for his hyung.

Taehyung came back almost an hour later, drying his hair with a towel. He raised his eyebrows at the younger.

"Why are you still up?"

"I can't sleep." Jungkook looked up from his phone where he was looking up information on the pills.

All he had gathered for now was that they are used often for insomnia and it's hard to overdose on them unless you take other drugs with them. Other than that, there were just complex names he had never heard of before.

Taehyung switched the lights off. It was too dark for his liking so he turned the lamp next to his bed on. The dark and silence reminded him dangerously of the basement he and his father were stuck at.

"Hyung, can you switch the lamp off as well, please?"

V had no other choice so he did. They both stayed in bed. Both knew the other one was still awake but neither said anything for a long while.

Taehyung was scared. The dark was too much for him but he couldn't do anything. He just wanted the younger to fall asleep already so he could leave for somewhere or just turn the light on if nothing else.

Jungkook hadn't thought this far. Now that he was in the room, he had no idea what to do next. Or why he came in in the first place.

"Hyung?" V flinched. He was so stuck in his thoughts, trying to calm his racing heart that he had forgotten the other was there.

"Y-yeah?" He cursed in his mind for stuttering.

Are you okay?

He wanted to ask but changed his mind, still playing dumb.

"You can't sleep either, right?" Jungkook sat up. Taehyung didn't trust his voice so he just hummed in answer which made Jungkook worry even more.

He went closer to Tae and grabbed his arm. He could feel the older shaking slightly.

Is he cold?

Can't be. The heater is on.

Scared then?

Jungkook hugged Taehyung's body, not asking about why he was trembling. It made Taehyung wonder if he noticed it or not.

"Hyung, would you sing something for me?" Jungkook tried to talk to him in order to assure him a bit that he was there.

Sing something for me, Tae.

His father's word rang in his head. That's how they had spent their nights in the basement. Taehyung singing for his father to help both of them sleep.

Tears prickled his eyes and a few of them fell as well. His heart clenched even more. He wasn't scared of the dark anymore. But the thought that he'd never see his father again, his smiles, his proud eyes.

He would never get the opportunity to sing for him. He'd never hear him praise his voice, clapping while going on and on about how unique it is and how deep and calming it sounded when he sang.

"If you don't want to... Can I?" Jungkook said when there was no response from V. Taehyung hummed again and Jungkook started immediately.

Tae took a deep breath and focused on Jungkook's voice and his body that was pressed against him lightly.

He started to calm down and his shaking gradually stopped. Slowly, he fell asleep, listening to the soothing and soft voice of Jungkook.

Jungkook started another song as soon as he finished the first one. It was his third one when V's breathing turned slow and he fell into dreamland.

Jungkook smiled and turned the lamp on. He was a bit startled to see fresh tears on Tae's cheeks that were still falling even though he was sleeping now.

He covered the both of them properly with the blanket and hugged his hyung tightly before falling asleep as well.

~~~~~~~<><><><><><><>~~~~~~~

Jungkook woke up to whimpers coming from his side. Turning the lamp on, he saw Taehyung shaking uncontrollably while tears streamed down his face and scared whimpers leaving his lips, his hands fisting the pillow tightly.

"Hyung?" He shook him, trying to wake him up but V didn't acknowledge him at all.

"HYUNG!" He shook him even more wildly and V's eyes shot open and he sat up immediately while breathing heavily.

Jungkook hugged him instantly, rubbing his hands in circular motion on his back.

"Calm down, Hyung."
"It's okay."
"I'm here."

He kept on whispering comforting words and V gradually calmed down.

"Are you okay?"

V nodded a bit, not letting go of the hug. Like he was trying to find a sense of security by it, assuring himself that he's not alone in that god forbidden basement near his father's death body.

"Let's lie down, hyung. Try to sleep, yeah?" Tae nodded again and Jungkook helped him lie down without letting go of him.

Jungkook hummed an unfamiliar tune which helped V regain his breathing

Jungkook fell asleep while singing but Taehyung stayed awake. He couldn't fall asleep after what he had seen. So he just rubbed his eyes and waited.

3:47 am

When he was sure the boy fell asleep, he took his jacket and shoes and without making a noise, left the house in the middle of the night once again.