Chapter 3 -- The Girlfriend

A week after the staffing, the center called me to tell me that Percy had inquired about seeing Cade. It was explained to me that she usually arrived about 3 p.m. the first day, visit and have dinner with Cade, then return the second day for a morning visit and picnic lunch on the grounds.

With mom in attendance at the staffing, the staff from the treatment portion explained Percy's involvement to us and how much it seem to help him focus.

Cade was always protective of me. It was he whom I first told of my caring for Savannah. Then it was Cade who brought us back together.

Cade was still stewing over me not having a woman in my life to love. He had somehow become fixated with Percy and how she could fit the bill. I dissuaded him as often as I could reminding him that Sonja was no longer in my life. Thinking about it, it surprised me that momma never said a word that day.

As I sat there listening to my heart and mind, I tried to deal with what he had repeatedly said. My mind once again said "this was crazy talk", but my heart was saying 'wait a minute'. Cade had always been able to read my heart. What exactly he was seeing I thought as I waited for Percy to finish her dinner with Cade.

The door to the conference room finally opened and as I looked up, a stunned and beautiful Sonja Percy looked at me in horror. She had no idea that I was on the grounds.

"Hello Percy" I said.

"Hello Chris" she stammered. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see my brother's mystery girlfriend. I should be asking you that question." Do you want to start talking here or go somewhere we can get a drink and relax?"

"Let's leave" she responds.

"I'll drive Percy. I'm not sure that I trust you to focus on the road right now."

Drinks in hand, Percy and I find a booth but then I go get a chair and sit right next to Percy.

"It started so innocently she begins. What I am saying Chris this is innocent. This is about a person that we both love."

Seeing my eyebrow raise Percy continues

"The center called one day trying to reach you. You were with Pride serving a warrant. I asked if I could help. It seemed they were at step four of a five step escalation."

"Hello Cade, My name is Sonja Percy. I work with your brother." 

 "I heard your name before. Hey you're pretty."

"Well thank you. Chris is away right now. Do you want to talk?"

"He breaks into some rants and I encourage him to take some deep breathes and ask him about the island. He seemed surprised that I knew about the island and proceeded to tell me a couple of stories about the two of you. Finally he sat down. Then he asked me if I would come and see him. I hemmed and hawed and he responded upset that I didn't want to be his friend. I assured him that that wasn't it. I told him that I thought that I need permission so I would ask you."

"No, he said . He was adamant that you not know that he was out of control. Let's ask momma Ms. Sonja. Okay Cade. We'll ask them to speak with your mother."

I flew over a couple weeks later. We had a wonderful visit. While he begged me to come again, there was little doubt that I wanted to see him again. His love for you was so evident.

When I went off the rails later on, I went one day and was still there three days later! After I transferred, I saw no reason to cut my ties from him. He needed me, but, but..."

"But what Percy?"

"He remained a link between you and me that I don't want to sever" she says with her head bowed. It was difficult to hear her last words.

"Some other things are beginning to make sense now." I say. "Every time I spoke with momma she asks about the team. She never did that until after you left. One by one she would name the team always including yours. I would remind her that you were no longer with us." She would push back "surly she calls you guys doesn't' she?" "Well maybe Tammy, but not me"

"Momma never pushed but I'm just realizing she must have heard the pain in my voice."

"Don't look at me like that Percy. You have to know that I miss you don't you? Percy we were together nearly every day. You have saved my life more times than I can remember."

"So do you think that there is anything else that I should know before I go into see Cade."

"You're staying" Percy ask? "Don't you think that will be a little too much"

"I hope not, but I think now that I know he should know that I approve and want him to continue his friendship with you on his terms."

"The doctor said that you usually bring him lunch so why don't you just do that like you usually do. I'll go see him first thing in the morning and leave you guys to your visit when you arrive."

"I'll drive you back to the facility to get your rental and follow you to your hotel okay." "Sure" Chris.

Percy wraps her arms around my waist. I hug her tightly but I can feel her shaking life a leaf.

I take half a step back from her and raise her chin. "Percy. Sonja. I never want you to be afraid to come to me for anything. You have been my friend too long to be afraid of me. You have saved my life too many times for me to ever consider hurting you. Me, finding you here in this place at this time, is a debt that I will never be able repay. Look at me City Mouse – I mean it."

We walk slowly to my truck hand in hand.