You're Not A Burden

Darkness crept around the man, making his nerves uneasy once again. He didn't know how to hold the information, does he talk about it with Peter, or let the teen come clean himself. Nothing made sense for him anymore, as the kid became a metal block and it made the man frustrated. He knew he couldn't go to sleep, but he decided to just lay in bed for the next few hours, he slowly made his way down the hall, stopping at a familiar door. Light glowed from the crack between floor and wood, displaying that Peter was still awake. 

   Maybe I should go talk to him now. He thought while placing his hand on the door handle. Hesitantly cracking the door, he saw the boy in fetus position, his head laying on top of his knees.  His eyes were closed, but his mouth trembled, as his dreams, or nightmares, caused the boy to whimper. Tony walked further in, being careful not to wake Peter. Turning off the light, Tony gave a content noise and walked back out, deciding it was the best he could do for now. 

   Now walking to his own door, he opened it without a second thought, startled when he saw Steve sitting against the bed , who was now focusing at him with the disapproval brow raise.

   "Where did you go?" Concern and frustration was all the Tony could make out of his tone. Steve's muscle tensed as he patted the floor next to him, silently telling him to sit.

   "I just got this uneasy feeling so I went out to get something to drink" The brunette replied, sighing as he sat down, instantly relaxing.

   "With Loki?" Steve questioned, this time sadness coated his features, as he wasn't told the full truth.

   "He may have entered while I was out there" Tony felt nervous for some reason, his common sense telling him that this won't be a short conversation.

   "Ton, please, I just want to help" The blonde placed a hand on the other's knee, giving a squeeze like how he did back in the lab. Almost as if he was trying to crack Tony's emotions out of him.

   "Fine" A large sigh escaped the mans mouth, annoyed from Steve always getting to him. "I was worried and did get a drink, and when Loki entered, he told me what happened to Peter, about the black eye, and I'm just super worried again, like what if he get's into the habit of not telling me? I want to be the one he trusts" Tony looked down in disappointment, not wanting to look him in the eyes.

   "He's a teen, of course he's not wanting to tell you things, they just seem too personal, or not permanent, so he doesn't want to burden you" Steve tried comforting, but ended up making Tony wince, and stand up.

   "He's not a burden" The billionaire glared, then storming out, now heading to his lab, the only safe place he had.

   Steve stayed in the room, now totally confused about the lash out.

   "All I meant was he didn't want to bother you right now, not that he was an actual burden overall" He whispered, but already too late, since Tony had already shut the door. 

   Maybe a note can help? I doubt he'll want to talk to me in person, but he can't deny writing. Steve searched through his own room, grabbing a piece of loose paper and a deep blue pen. After neatly writing out an apology, signing his name, and drawing the American flag on the empty space, he figured it was perfect. Setting it down on his bed and going back to his own room. 

*******

   Tony sat on a stool, a beer in hand, and only a few hours till sunrise. He tried making something new, or working on something old, but nothing seemed to be going right. He ached from being totally bored, then an idea popped into his mind. Standing up, and bringing his half finished drink with him, he walked to the computer on the other side of the room. Going to a file, he pulled out some videos, smiling when choosing certain ones. Swiping his fingers, picture was displayed out of thin air. A city was zoomed out, while out of breath talking over lapped it. With his touch, a new perspective was shown. The kids face, and all of his sweaty glory. Peter looked amazed from finding this view, and was definitely not in shape for the climb up there, but he still did it. Ever since he augmented the spider suit and added cameras, it became one of his favorite pass times, finding the kids face mid swing hilarious, and his self talking actually calming. And this way he heard all the nonsense calls that Peter made to Happy, because he knows Hogan won't tell them all to him. Tony smiled, a genuine smile, whispering to himself "He's not a burden". He stayed this way for another few hours until Nat sent him a text to get upstairs and eat.

   "Hello Anthony" Natasha smirked, standing up from where she sat on the couch. 

   "Ew, don't call me that" The sassy remark made them both laugh, but once they were done, silence fell.

   "So Steve is kinda sad about what happened" She walked closer, getting rid of the distance between them so she could talk quieter.

   "Oh" Was all Tony could say, suddenly feeling guilty.

   "You should apologize, he was just trying to help" She rubbed the others arm, giving a small smile, then turning to go wake up Peter for school. "And a little birdie told me that you should go check your room" She called back, not caring to make eye contact.

   After a confused face took place, he walked to his room, scared and nervous for what that could've meant. When he passed Peter's room, he heard Nat gently waking him up, and him stirring back to conscious. Tony's fragile heart shook a bit from hearing him. but he still carried on to his own room, not knowing what he'll find. Once he reached the door, he swung it opened, glancing everywhere for something drastic, but finding only a simple note on his bed. Picking up the paper, he read the scrambled words, frowning at himself for being an idiot. Then smiling once he saw the cute drawings Steve had made next to where he had signed his name.

   "That dork" Tony playfully rolled his eyes, setting the note down and exiting his room, andwalked to the one across the hall. Quickly he knocked, waiting for an answer, but not retrieving one. He knocked again, more confused this time. Still, no answer came. He opened the door, cracking it, and looking through the small slit it made. Seeing no movement, he opened it more, revealing an empty room. Walking around he saw a stack of paper and pens that Steve must have been using for the note he made.

   "Try the gym" Came a voice from around the corner. Sam leaned against the door frame, eyeing the man before him carefully.

   Giving a quick thank you, Tony rushed down a floor and through a few hallways, stumbling on a tensed Steve, who was benching an impressive weight. He walked silently into the room, watching as every muscle in the blondes arm moved, and sweat coated the thin white tank top he had on. A growl escaped Steve's lips as he went up once more, but then seeing someone lurking by him, startling him and dropping the dumbbell on his chest, instantly making him weeze.

   "Steve!" Tony rushed by the others side, helping him move the weight off and make sure he was okay.

   "I'm good, I'm good, I promise" He lightly chuckled, still winded from the force that was just applied on his lungs.

   "Don't scare me like that" The sassy man glared turning his head to see if anyone else was watching.

   "Scare you? You're the one who was watching me!" Steve yelled back, smiling.

   "Whatever, anyways, look, I'm sorry" Tony remade eye contact, giving him the most sincere face he could muster up.

   "It's fine, just make yourself known when someone's benching" Steve's eyes showed humor, but his mouth showed gratitude, making him look like a complete goofball.

   "No not that, well that too, but for storming out yesterday, it's just that yesterday, with  Peter-" Tony started nervously explaining, but was cut off.

   "I don't need to know, I'm just happy we're good again" He stood up, extending a hand out to Tony, who happily took it. They both seemed fine, like nothing had happened, which made Nat happy when they both returned upstairs to eat. 

   "Steve shower, you smell worse than Sam and Clint combined, and you're stinking up the place" She shooed him out, and earned defensive comments back from the boys. She sheepishly smiled, then continued the food, dishing it out to everyone.