Chapter 4: Synchronization

Another day, another dance practice for Red Velvet. As the days went by, Yeri was feeling most confident, but  mostly she was feeling a real part of the group. The girls were surrounding her with their love and support, since she was the maknae and she needed guidance, before their first live show.

The dance instructor showed them the whole choreography for their new song "Automatic" this time. Everybody seemed to nail it. However, the blonde girl observed Joy struggling with the verse. "That means more time alone in the practice room, Sooyoung?" she thought to herself and continued with her steps. Seulgi was helping Irene. She would always treat her like a queen. These two were really clingy to each other, probably because they were the members that spend the most time training with each other before the debut. They've both joined SM 5 years ago. The other two girls came after 2 years.

When the dance practice came to an end, the 5 girls headed to the SM restaurant to have their usual meal. A tiring day needed a generous lunch, Wendy used to say.

"So... tomorrow is a big day. We're recording our first song as a 5-member girl group." Irene mentioned. And she was right. Tomorrow was the day, when Yeri's vocal skills would show. She was pretty confident about her voice though. Confident about everything, especially her killing skills, but this would stay a secret, right?

"Rumor has it, that Mr. Lee will challenge Yeri with many lines." Wendy said. Everybody was caught by surprise. Especially the maknae.

"Really?" Yeri calmly said. "If it's true, I got this."

Joy didn't look content with that statement. She kept staring at the blonde girl with a look full of repulsion. Was it repulsion though? She showed a softer side of hers the other night. Maybe it was just for the night. The classic Park Sooyoung was back.

The dinner continued with the girls chatting about the difficulty of the vocals and how the line distribution would be this time. While they were all occupied with talking to each other, Yeri was staring at Joy, who was now playing with her coffee straw. Whether she was folding it with her fingers or she was sucking and biting it. It was like the time had stopped for Yeri to appreciate the beauty of her future victim. Her plump lips touching the end of the straw and her thin fingers playing with it, was a delight in Yeri's eyes. But she soon shook her head and got back to reality.

It was time to go back home. Their afternoon would be free of practices and work in general.

"I've found an interesting information for your subject." It was a text message from Mr. Yang. Yeri secretly opened it and replied:
"I'm all ears, sir."
"You told me that you have been struggling approaching her. Well, on December 2017 Miss Park was caught on camera being especially close to another idol, during the Music Awards. Kim Jennie. Later on the media were spreading rumors about Sooyoung's questionable sexuality. Maybe there are just rumors, maybe they're not."
"What do you want me to do? How is this piece of information helpful?"
"Come on, Yeri, squeeze your brain and let me know what should I write in her file. Delete the messages."

Yeri did as commanded.

"Yeri, are you coming?" Seulgi asked her and they both got in the van.

***

Many thoughts were crossing Yeri's mind again. She was laying on her bed, while the others were probably downstairs watching some tv. She was feeling tired, she claimed to avoid the group gathering. The truth is, Mr. Yang's message made her confused. Joy was spitter flirting with Blackpink Jennie? Could this scenario be real? The brunette was truly a stunning woman, who was surely catching other idols' attention all the time. Nothing new. But the media spreading rumors about Joy, was something else and Yeri had to hit the enemy where she was hurting. And tonight was the night.