Chapter 2

Special thanks to.......
jazzymg1 zoubaf dariandw
@Pass-TheGay and -lyscece for voting for the first couple of chapters and to a whole bunch of my silent readers. We already have some rankings in place for this book which is crazy because it was just posted. You guys are awesome! 😊 As always, any vote or comment will be rewarded with a shout out. Now, to the book.
***
"It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent." —Madeleine Albright

Kia Brown

5 years later...

Kia paced around the big mansion that she was in.

"But mom!" She protested, trying to get her mother to agree.

"Kia! I have already made my decision. There is nothing to explain. Do you know what he would do to me if I spoke out against him? Our whole family would be in danger. I am protecting you and Gavin. Even though he abuses me, he would never lay a hand on you guys. He treats y'all like angels and for that I must be grateful. If I go against him, that will change," her mother tried to convince her but Kia wasn't having it. This was the fourth time this month that her father laid a hand on her mother. He had bruised her and there was a big purple mark on the side of her head.

Kia had decided it was time for her and the whole family to leave their father. They could file a case and Kia could be a lawyer for her own case. After all, she had been in law school for eight years.

However, her mother was too afraid to leave. 

Kia knew it wouldn't be easy but she was not afraid of her father. Her mother had raised a strong woman. At twenty-six years old, there was nothing that she felt she was incapable of. Her mother had taught her how to be a strong, Black and independent woman. And the more she saw her mama with her father, the more that part of her character started to disappear. It scared Kia.

Her brother, Gavin moved out the house into his own apartment because he couldn't stand to see his mother be abused daily. Kia would have done the same but she knew if she left the mansion, her father would take advantage of her mother even the more. And that drove Kia insane so she had to stay.

Realizing she was too deep into her thoughts, she brought herself back to what she was saying.

"Mama," her voice started to tremble, "You deserve better. I can't bear to see you go through this. Remember those nights when you'd tell me a bedtime story? You would always say be your own hero, push pass all your enemies in life. Why can't you do that now?"

Kia let one stray tear roll down her face. This was the one time she'd let herself cry over anything.

"Oh, child. I'll be alright. Don't worry about me and stop all this crying. Do you want me to call Fiona? You could go out tonight and have a good time with your friends," her mother replied. Kia loved how her mother was always trying to make her feel better but this was one topic she wouldn't let go.

"Why should I leave? Just so that man can come home and beat you?" She sneered more to herself than to her mother. She knew her father was smart and he would never hit her mama around her because he knew Kia would go straight to the police station. She would have seen the abuse herself and she would be able to go against her father. Because of those reasons, he would wait until Kia left to violate her mother.