Chapter 3

Shout out to the following people who have voted for previous chapters or added the book to their reading list:
-lyscece dariandw uglyutopia
zoubaf jazzymg1 BlackAngelsReadtoo daydreamersak_21 extrafriesnoexercise

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER MAY BE DISTURBING FOR SOME READERS. READ WITH CAUTION.

Kia Brown

There was a lot of things in life that Kia had low tolerance for. She hated onions a lot. Every since she was little her mother would try to convince her to eat those nasty things. Kia shook her head at the memory.

However, one thing she hated more than any type of onion was someone lying to her. Being a lawyer and an activist, her job was to find justice in the world-to find the truth. And she couldn't do that with a person telling lie after lie.

Her client, swore on the Bible that he had not been at the crime scene because he was at work at the time. But when she got some video recordings, there was Mr. Hans-her client- at the victims apartment at exactly five pm. That was the time the victim (Ashley Bennett) had been killed.

Closing her laptop, she decided she needed a break today from all the chaos and her case. She was going to have to stop defending this man if he did not come out with the full truth and this time, she would not give in or feel sorry for him. She would gladly withdraw any payments to the law firm and suggest he find another lawyer because she did not defend liars and murderers. That was just against her morals.

Sighing, Kia walked to the other side of her room. She noticed that the house had been too quiet today. Usually, she could hear the sound of her father yelling at her mother. And as usual, Kia would have to come and chastise her father for yelling at her mama. Then the house would grow quiet as tension set in.

The relationship that Kia had with her father was very weak. Since she was around ten years old, she had developed a strong bond with her father like no other. He was a good man back then. He treated his mother like a princess and he would take Gavin and her to the park. Everything was lovely until she turned around fifteen years old. Suddenly, out of the blue her father changed. He started to carry guns and yell at her mother. Gavin and Kia knew nothing about this until they were eavesdropping one day and that was the first time her father had hit her mother.

They never knew what the argument was over or why her father had hit their mother. But they knew from that point on, life would be different for them. However, her father was deceiving and he learned how to wait until they would leave the house to do his abuse. And then when Gavin and Kia would come home, he would be the perfect father. For a moment, she and Gavin had thought her father changed but it wasn't until later that she found out the truth.

She came out of her thoughts to go get some water from the kitchen. Maybe today her father wasn't home.

But when she passed her mother and father's room, she heard two voices whispering. She frowned.

Whispering?

She leaned her head on the door to hear what was going on.

"Jason, I'm still hurting from last time. Please don't do it," she could hear her mother whisper to her father desperately.